Did people forget B.J. Penn got to keep his LW belt while challenging for the WW belt?

BigNick100

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I just see a lot of haters about Conor keeping the FW belt, and while I agree that it is unfair to the other FW's that deserve a shot aka Holloway, don't forget B.J got to challenge GSP for the WW and got to keep the FW belt. Dana said if B.J. would have won, he would have had to drop one of the belts. He is saying the same about Conor.

Now I know people will come and say this is Conor's 3rd fight this year without defending the belt, but the fact remains that B.J. could have defending his LW strap the night he fought GSP, but he didn't.

BJ didn't fight 3 fights in a row out of his weight class, that is the real complaint.

That was for one fight, now three.

He actually defended it first.
tumblr_m17kgfw4mt1qfrkf9o1_250.gif

He defended it, then went up as a 1 off. Not promised he would vacant then go 3 out of his class

So a guy who had defended his belt going up for 1 fight for a belt had already previously held is the same as taking your third consecutive without defending while there are multiple guys in both divisions with record win streaks waiting for a shot? When they booked him against RDA, people thought it was undeserved, but not as ridiculous as taking the whole year to fight several times outside his own division.

Everything has been answered here already. You even answered your own problem in your own OP. Can we close this bullshit thread?

He did not defend it. He fought Sherk to unify the belt.

Edit: thanks to @donfryeismyhero for the reminder that Sherk had been stripped previous to his fight with BJ.

Last edited:
He actually defended it first.
tumblr_m17kgfw4mt1qfrkf9o1_250.gif

Edit: I originally said this was for the real belt which is incorrect, this is his first defense.

BJ defended his belt and wasn't holding up a division when he challenged GSP. The main issue is holding up FW, not his LW title shot.

Last edited:
As people have said it was for 1 fight and not the 3rd in a row out of the division. At the time also the LW division was as stacked and didn't have multiple people waiting for title shots.

Fedor who many consider the GOAT also rarely defended his Pride belt.

Aldo went really long without defending his belt to.

1. BJ Penn actually defended his belt

2. BJ Penn was a former WW champion @ that point with a great legacy in that weight class

3. BJ Penn didn't hold his division up going 1-1 against a fringe top 7 WW

It's what it is, now. Time to let it go.

They might have Conor fight CM Punk at heavyweight, weighing in with weights in their pockets, for the Greatest Ever Human belt, and as long as they both get paid more than everyone else combined, 80% of this site will eat it up like primo shit.

it's not you TS, it's everyone else who is wrong

BJ got special treatment similar to Conor all because they make the UFC money.

Back