How much different are Maia and Jacare over the average BJJ black belt?

bugrimmar

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Educate me, I'm unfamiliar with belt levels in BJJ.

1. Isn't black supposed to be the highest level? If so aren't all black belts supposed to have equal knowledge in the art?

2. I understand there are degrees to black belts so does that mean that the absolute best in BJJ has the most stripes?

3. Maia and Jacare are frequently mentioned as the best in MMA. What makes them different from the average black belt? Why isn't there a higher belt level to accommodate this difference?

4. Gunnar Nelson was absolutely schooled by Maia on the ground and he's supposed to be a black belt. What's the point of awarding someone the highest belt level if he/she isn't anywhere near the most skilled in the art?

I hope someone experienced in BJJ can help me with these questions.

There is a major difference. Being a starting QB makes you elite in the sport of football, but it doesn't make you Tom Brady.

Gunnar Nelson is a black belt. Maia is a carnivore belt.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought black belt only signified that you had reached a certain level of knowledge and experience with the martial art, and that you were no longer considered "inexperienced" like someone with a colored belt?

At which point the stripes on the belt would signify how much time you'd spent as a black belt, distinguishing one guy from the next?

There is a major difference. Being a starting QB makes you elite in the sport of football, but it doesn't make you Tom Brady.
Or Tom Brady's Daddy
107687382-594x356.jpg

it's like comparing some old white guy on Orlando Magic to LeBron

It's like comparing a varsity hs player to an elite pro

There are certainly levels. And the belts aren't based on who is the best. It's about knowledge and dedication to the art. There are basic black belts all over the place.

Then there are black belts under great teachers. The Diaz Brothers are great black belts.

Then there are guys who compete and do well at ADCC and the worlds like Arona and Dean Lister etc.

Then there are guys who excel on the highest level and would mop the floor with everyone else and that is Roger Gracie, Jacare, Maia, Estima, Galvao.

Then there is the Michael Jordan of BJJ. The guy Maia and Jacare have on their bedroom walls. Travis Lutter.

1. Yes, and in theory, yes (obviously some will know more than others).
2. No, not necessarily.
3. Maia and Jacare are world champions in sport BJJ who have also had great success in MMA. That is the "higher level" that you're asking about.
4. I don't know how to respond to something so dumb.

It's the same in any martial art. Getting a black belt doesn't mean you stop improving. The stripes on a black belt is more to show how long you've trained after getting your black belt and also shows and your input in the BJJ community etc. It doesn't necessarily indicate how good of a black belt you are.

There's knowledge, and then there's athletic prowess. The two don't always coincide.

And belt grade past 1st degree black belt shows how respected of a teacher you are.

The difference between your average black belt and your average blue belt is about the difference between Maia/Jac and your average black belt.

There's knowledge, and then there's athletic prowess. The two don't always coincide.

And belt grade past 1st degree black belt shows how respected of a teacher you are.

Which makes Maia now being a 4th or 5th degree amazing. You just don't see that with guys whose primary focus is competition.

A black belt indicates a certain proficiency in the art, but it doesn't mean the best in the world. Does any ranking system in the world work like that? Are all people that get a Bachelor's Degree equal? What about 20 years after they get a Bachelor's Degree? I don't think Roger Gracie, Alexandre Ribeiro, and Marcelo Garcia are the only people in the world that deserve to be awarded a black belt.

Which makes Maia now being a 4th or 5th degree amazing. You just don't see that with guys whose primary focus is competition.
Yeah, it's really rare. Demian is respected worldwide for his teaching, so it's awesome he's still doing great in competition as well.

Educate me, I'm unfamiliar with belt levels in BJJ.

1. Isn't black supposed to be the highest level? If so aren't all black belts supposed to have equal knowledge in the art?

No. Stupid question. Having a job or certification doesn't mean you are exactly = to everyone else in that position in knowledge and ability.

2. I understand there are degrees to black belts so does that mean that the absolute best in BJJ has the most stripes?

No. Usually, stripes (dans) are based on how long someone has held their black belt

3. Maia and Jacare are frequently mentioned as the best in MMA. What makes them different from the average black belt? Why isn't there a higher belt level to accommodate this difference?

They are just better, just like jordan, gretzsky, etc. The mechanism that 'accommodates this difference' is their accolades in competition. winning black belt level bjj tournaments is a way to stand out. look up ADCC if you are interested in some of the best no gi grappling available

4. Gunnar Nelson was absolutely schooled by Maia on the ground and he's supposed to be a black belt. What's the point of awarding someone the highest belt level if he/she isn't anywhere near the most skilled in the art?

The school / coach you get your black belt from is important. some are handed out easier than others, some coaches are better than others, some gyms are more advanced jiu jitsu schools than others. the person that decided gunnar nelson is a black belt is not the same person that decided maia is a black belt, plus maia is an exceptional bjj artist and long time black belt

I hope someone experienced in BJJ can help me with these questions.

fuck that came out wrong, but im too lazy to fix i'll just bolt the answers

Yeah, it's really rare. Demian is respected worldwide for his teaching, so it's awesome he's still doing great in competition as well.

And Frank Mir is still waiting for his mail.

Back