Revisiting GSP vs. Hendricks

Who won?

• Total voters

essie

sue me
@Silver
Reaction score
Coming up on about three years since this fight. I am curious who you all think won in retrospect? I feel like these controversial fights such as Jones v Gus, GSP v Hendricks, Lawler v Condit always start out with a lot of backing for the person who lost but over time it just becomes accepted that the right person won.

I felt like it was close but GSP got the win.
Dana was just whining because he knew that GSP would drop down in pay, had GSP lost the decision.

Straight to the hospital BS and so on.

Was cheering for Hendricks.

Scored it 3 rounds to 2 for GSP

Hendrick had the better moments. Fight was closer than people thought. All the people with cash on Jonny went insane any time he landed. But GSP outpointed Hendricks no doubt.

maxresdefault.jpg

I still think Hendricks won but I like seeing that guy get screwed over, you know what I mean?

It was a clear cut 3 rounds to 2 for GSP. I didn't understand the controversy at the time. I think that there was a group of people who wanted to see GSP lose because he was always untouchable. They saw Johnny have some success for a couple rounds and threw out the scoring system to try and fulfill their fantasies.

Also, GSP was adamant that Hendricks get extra testing. Hendricks didn't and he has looked like a totally different fighter since more stringent testing has taken place.

I think we know what was going on...it's a shame really.

I felt like it was close but GSP got the win.
Dana was just whining because he knew that GSP would drop down in pay, had GSP lost the decision.

Straight to the hospital BS and so on.

One of the most cringeworthy post fight pressers for me because Dana was so damn emotional during it.

Gsp the first and second time I watched. Extremely close no doubt.

GSP won the vote, but it's clear who won the actual battle.

Hendricks pushed the pace, controlled the fight, did more damage, landed more strikes, landed more takedowns, defended more takedowns, and overall made GSP look like a child in a bear pit. It's obvious that GSP lost that fight and it's likely the biggest reason he "retired", he knew that his ass got served and he didn't want it to get served again. Now that Hendricks is all but washed up due to his lusty cravings for a double cheese no pickle extra mayo - GSP is considering coming back as he knows no one else would stop him.

On first watch just by my layman gut feeling, I had Johny winning. On second watch trying to look at it like a judge would, GSP takes it.

1) I'd like to see them do it again post USADA!
2) The new rules taking effect on 2017 might favor Hendricks, as visible damage gets scored too.

If you judge it overall it was clearly a Hendricks victory. Round by round it was close.

Close but GSP edged it by winning round 1. No one reasonable disagreed on rounds 2-5.

Back