Retirement

FrancisBergoglio

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question but can UFC refuse a retirement ? If guys like Conor or Jones decide to retire can the UFC do something against that ?

no- but they can keep them from going to other orgs and they own their commercial identity forever.

really horrible position to be in- UFC contracts are a throwback to 1950s mafia bullshit and I hope that fighters get real alternatives to this crap soon.

Maybe a stupid question but can UFC refuse a retirement ? If guys like Conor or Jones decide to retire can the UFC do something against that ?
Not really. If they are still under contract than the UFC can make it so they can not compete anywhere else. But the UFC has no power to make them keep fighting.

Nope the UFC can't stop them, but as seen with GSP, if Dana loses one of his stars because they want to retire he will run them into the ground every chance he gets to the media.

no- but they can keep them from going to other orgs and they own their commercial identity forever.

really horrible position to be in- UFC contracts are a throwback to 1950s mafia bullshit and I hope that fighters get real alternatives to this crap soon.
Yeah then we as fans can suffer for it, they knew what they were getting into. I don't care if they're homeless just give me some damn fights.

no but I it is a fighter's nuclear option. Gonzaga, Iaquinta and now (possibly) Aldo. That's three in one week.

I assume they are free to enter BJJ tournies and do other pro sports outside of boxing and kickboxing.

Maybe Aldo can play indoor soccer like Allen Iverson did briefly.

This man would like to know, too.<30>

It's a fuckin free world. You can't stop someone from retiring or even quitting. If there is a contract you may be able to block them working within your industry, for a time period. But you can't stop someone from retiring... that's fucking ridiculous.

I wonder if they could prevent them from doing something like Pro Wrestling or paid grappling competitions.

The contracts are binding.

The contracts are binding.
Yep. And it's not like MMA is the only industry that uses these sorts of contracts. If the fighter handles it with professionalism, gives the UFC a timeline to retirement and if he/she's willing to take any post-retirement roles, they might find that they're employer isn't bitter.

For cripes sakes, fighters aren't exempt from being professional just b/c DFW is an asshat.

They can't make a guy fight so no. However if he tries to go to another org he will be tied up in court for years to come.

Conor will change that bum kid's life—red diaper night every damned day.

The fetus should already be tanking 'im.

no but I it is a fighter's nuclear option. Gonzaga, Iaquinta and now (possibly) Aldo. That's three in one week.

I assume they are free to enter BJJ tournies and do other pro sports outside of boxing and kickboxing.

Maybe Aldo can play indoor soccer like Allen Iverson did briefly.
Lmfaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, in all seriousness 20,000 a game 5,000 extra per goal scored sounds fucking great just to have had a name is different sport.

Back