How good is McGregor really?

IceCold ADCC

🔥 20 years on Sherdog and counting 🔥
@purple
Reaction score
Take away all the hype. Take away all the hate. Take away all the feelings towards Conor good or bad... How good P4P is Conor McGregor and who is he closest to in skill and style among the all time greats?

To me he is still a bit of an enigma. Usually after 5 fights or less in the UFC I can get a real solid

bearing on where a fighter may rank all-time based on experience, age, skill and potential, yet he still gives me pause.

Wins over Aldo, Diaz, Mendes,
Max Hollway and absolutely blowing away Poirier and Brandao are extremely impressive on anyone's record....Yes the Diaz fights were tough to say the least but I think Nate's skill set may be one of the worst possible match up's for him in the UFC and it's unheard of for some one to jump **TWO** weight classes and fight a tough contender like Nate.

All in all just looking at his skill set I think he is VERY close to Anderson Silva in style and over all skill. Anderson is a better kicker. Conner is a better boxer. Both don't want to go to the ground. I would say Silva is better off his back and Conor has a stronger wrestling game but I think their striking is close in over all talent.

I think my issue with judging him so far is he has started bouncing around weight classes and I think we are all kind still waiting to see how he fairs against some of these bigger guys and if he will ever go back down to 145 to cement his legacy there.

Sooooo McGregor = Anderson Silva?

2003 account and says Conor has stronger wrestling game than Anderson.. get a fookin outta here lol

Anderson had a sustained reign of terror with a highlight reel of Zepruder film-esque KO's.

Conor has been mostly successful in the octagon despite the immense pressure he puts on himself by talking massive shit. If he can sustain the success, he has a chance to Crack the top 10. He won't fight long enough to think about top 5.

perfect matchups, little bit luck and being very good at one distance in MMA has helped Conor as far as he is right now. It is difficult to measure skill. Unless maybe BJJ belt color. I would say Bigfoot is more skilled than Rothwell but then there are other factors which are not really a skill (chin,cardio etc)

I think your right ,it's still tough to gauge how good Conor is. I have serious concerns about his ground game. If he can answer thise questions and become even an average fighter on the ground I think he could become the GOAT. I just fear the damage that could be done to him because I'm not sure he can ever become a good grappler . It's one of the hardest things to do for a fighter that doesn't come from a wrestling or jiu jitsu backround. I find it much easier to come into MMA as a wrestler and devvelop your stand up than coming in as a stand up guy and develop a ground game. What he could do to become the GOAT is take a page out of chuck Liddlell's book. Become one of the best all-time at defending the take down. Chuck was an average at best ground game but was incredible at avoiding being taken to the canvas which is how he beat some of the best grapplers in the sport like Randy Couture

He has good skills but nowhere near a GOAT status. Name any other GOAT or P4P all time great with a total of zero title defenses.

Also LOL at him jumping up two weight classes. He's already fighting below his actual weight class at FW.

He's got some pretty good wins in Aldo and Mendes. At 145 he is a very good fighter. At 155 I think he's average at best. His ground game is years from where it should be at this point in his career. If he continues training with top guys and goes back to 145, I think he could run that division for a long time.

I just don't think he's good enough to give up his size and strength advantage that he had at 145 and give up 10-15 pounds every fight at 155. He's not even close to being that good. Even without the weight difference, that division is considerably better than 145.

He has good skills but nowhere near a GOAT status. Name any other GOAT or P4P all time great with a total of zero title defenses.

Also LOL at him jumping up two weight classes. He's already fighting below his actual weight class at FW.

He jumped weight classes so haters like you can't say he only fight Fw or "midgets"

He jumped weight classes so haters like you can't say he only fight Fw or "midgets"
Nope. He jumps weightclasses because he's to shook to actually put his belt on the line and because he knows he won the jackpot against Aldo. Also because the UFC babies him.

Also, he has to almost kill himself to fight at FW, so he's not even jumping up against Eddie, he's just fighting in the weight class he belongs. Don't act as if he's heroic either.

2003 account and says Conor has stronger wrestling game than Anderson.. get a fookin outta here lol

I see no problem with that and I like to think that I'm pretty objective about the fighters that I like. When was the last time Anderson took anyone down and how good is his overall TDD %? Conor was taking Holloway down at will and I'm not saying he's a monster wrestler but you can't take him down with mediocre shots.

Agree with a lot of the post. He's still an enigma to me as well. He's a real good fighter. I'm not sure I can call him great which is bizarre considering the insane competition he's run through. The majority of the 155 pound division I consider bad match ups like Nate, RDA, and Eddie. While I want to point out his weakness as BJJ he whooped Holloway on the ground with 1-1/2 legs, yet the Mendes takedowns are what stay clean in my head.

His skill set is similar to Silva but Silva off his back is way better.

I think the reason he moved up to 155 is so he can fight more, thus make more money. I think it has zero to do with him actually thinking he would do better at 155. He obviously would have a better career at 145, but I don't think he can do 3-4 fights a year at that weight. More fights = more money.

He's terrible.

Just ask sherdog once every ten minutes and they'll remind you.

Nope. He jumps weightclasses because he's to shook to actually put his belt on the line and because he knows he won the jackpot against Aldo. Also because the UFC babies him.

Also, he has to almost kill himself to fight at FW, so he's not even jumping up against Eddie, he's just fighting in the weight class he belongs. Don't act as if he's heroic either.

Jumping weight classes made him millions. which some fighters and champions who are defending their belts are crying about. Isn't that a smart move?
Remind me on Nov 12 when he become 2 Weight classes champion and tell me he is running from someone

I'd say he's pretty good, being a Jedi knight and what not...

star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-kenobi-1.jpg

I think that he is a great fighter and obviously an amazing promoter.

I also think that he should not have gotten the shot prior to fighting a top contender.

All he needs is god tier TDD to be a major threat to the whole LW division. Very good striker, snake like in how hes able to dip in and out. Excellent combos when hes not just head hunting. Hes in the same ballpark as guys like Anderson, WB, Machida but theyre all quite different, the shared trait being finesse striking aces.

Need more data. There's probably been 200 UFC champs only the great ones stay champs for long. There's been 100s of undefeated fighters come in UFC none stay that way except JJ so far.

If he can develope Chuck Liddell TDD he could be great I think. This next fight will tell us a lot.

Back