Do you miss MMA being a 'niche sport'?

Hooliganx

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I remember being so infuriated that the biggest News corporations in Britain wouldn't touch MMA and the fact that local shows were referred to as Cage Fighting or NHB.

I used to imagine how great it'd be if Sky or the BBC would cover the Sport and the biggest stars would be house hold names.

Well those days are finally here and with that the amount of know it all dickheads that have come with it is almost unbearable.

Thoughts?

I played lacrosse at the top level, here in england and over the pond in north cackalaki baltimore and collage park in dc. loved it and still do and had a lot of fun doing so.
Now thats a fringe sport..
I was was in N/C when i saw a vhs of the first ufc back in the day, and then found a BJJ gym a few years later.
its all connected for me..

i think mmas on the same level as nascar. its still niche, but a lot of people are aware it exists

I do. I don't like to admit it either, because it's kinda douchey. But I am an insecure hardcore mma fan.

When I see some casuals talking mma, I fantasize about going up to them, singling out who I feel is the alpha of the fans, and challenging him to MMA trivia very aggressively: "WHO DID PAT MILETICH FIGHT AT UFC 32? 5 SECONDS. GO. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. SHONIE CARTER! Get the fuck out of my sight!"

I didn't feel compelled to do such things 10 years ago.

I don't mind new fans and i don't mind the "know it all dckheads" but the sport really is less fun than it used to be. So yes, i miss it.

The bigger it gets the better.
More exposure = more fighter pay and endorsements = more youngsters training

Yes Lacross I would say is a niche Sport, MMA is fucking massive now with millionaire fighters and international Super stars etc

I don't mind new fans and i don't mind the "know it all dckheads" but the sport really is less fun than it used to be. So yes, i miss it.

The cards certainly aren't as good but that's due to a lack of competition IMO and Bellator is slowly and surely building a Strikeforce or EliteXc type roster

I played lacrosse at the top level, here in england and over the pond in north cackalaki baltimore and collage park in dc. loved it and still do and had a lot of fun doing so.
Now thats a fringe sport..
I was was in N/C when i saw a vhs of the first ufc back in the day, and then found a BJJ gym a few years later.
its all connected for me..

Am I missing something here? What in the fuck are you talking about?

The new owners make us look like fools.

AND

MMA = Death of NHB

I do. I don't like to admit it either, because it's kinda douchey. But I am an insecure hardcore mma fan.

When I see some casuals talking mma, I fantasize about going up to them, singling out who I feel is the alpha of the fans, and challenging him to MMA trivia very aggressively: "WHO DID PAT MILETICH FIGHT AT UFC 32? 5 SECONDS. GO. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. SHONIE CARTER! Get the fuck out of my sight!"

I didn't feel compelled to do such things 10 years ago.

It seems, at some point during those ten years, you became an asshole :)

No... i just dislike the sheep that came with it

Am I missing something here? What in the fuck are you talking about?
I played a fringe sport..mma is massive, and is rivalling boxing as a fan base, gets exposure on sky sports here in the UK..

The question of is mma being a fringe sport is not even a thing..its huge now..
I hope this filled in what was missing for you squire..

It's still a niche or minor sport.
Most people I know still think MMA is UFC or cage fighting.
It gets a tiny fraction of the coverage that mainstream sports do.
Most MMA 'stars' can earn more money in action films than they can fighting, the stars in non niche sports earn more than the top Hollywood stars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back