UFC matchmaking - Do the fighters have more power now?

Piewarrior

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
The UFC brass may not be holding as much power over match making anymore. Seems like fighters are now looking for their best interest more than anything and refusing to sign contracts.

There even seems to be unspoken agreements i.e Nate saying nope he wont sign any contracts for a replacement for UFC 200 opponent.

We have Bisping hand picking Dan Henderson.

Even though everyone seems to be pointing fingers at the UFC and Conor, are they really the ones to be blamed?

Conor and Khabib contracts was presented to Alverez. We all know Alverez publicly wanted and choose the Conor fight.

Ultimately Alverez had the power to choose whatever names that were on the list. We have Woodley despite not being a draw, try and hand pick GSP and Nick Diaz before Thompson was the only option.

Seems like a shift in power in match making nowadays. Especially if you have any sort of leverage (champion, popularity, demographic/race etc)

Last edited:
Do fighters have more power now? For the most part I'd say no. Aside from Conor picking his own fights, no one else seems to flex that same muscle. And I tend to exclude the example of Bisping/Henderson because if Dan had not mentioned his impending retirement the fight wouldn't be happening.

I don't think they have more power

Seems like UFC is more willing to dip into entertainment over real rankings if it will make them money though

So money making fighters can pull wackier fights...doesn't go for everyone tho

Dana seems afraid of Conor. Other than that the fighers don't have more power.

Fans have the power

We are the ones who buy the ppvs and watch the pre fight interviews

Um yes they are to blame considering they put out the preecendent.

This wasn't happening before, it started happening when the UFC decided to put the preecendent.

Why fight this no name when the UFC won't even give you dues for it.

Fuck that.

Back