Edgar and Alvarez fighting styles really aren't that similar

blacknblue104

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I'm a fan of both guys, but it's kind of weird how people make these two out to be identical fighters. They have just as many differences in their fighting as they do similarities.

Edgar is more of an "in-and-out" striker, always throws multi-strike combinations, has more agile footwork, and uses kicks a lot more than Alvarez does. When it comes to takedowns, Edgar prefers to set up quick shots through his striking and footwork. Their ground game is where they are most similar..both look to employ ground and pound while tactically passing and looking for submissions when the opportunity presents itself-neither likes to stay on their back, they're both good in scrambles.

Alvarez is definitely the stronger of the two, carries a bigger punch and has a more classic style of boxing. Alvarez uses distance well and throws sharp combinations but he prefers to slip and land on the inside whereas Edgar will look to land his strikes and escape. Alvarez's grappling is most effective when he's grinding an opponent against the cage and forces them to wrestle with him against the fence. He has good takedowns too but Edgar has the quicker, sneakier shot.

Both of them have massive hearts and an iron will as well, which is probably their biggest similarity.

Both of these guys use the same disciplines but they present two different sets of problems in the cage. The McGregor-Alvarez fight deftiniely won't play out the same exact way that McGregor-Edgar would have. Either way I'm super excited for 205, gonna be a great card and main event.

I haven't seen anyone compare them, but I'll take your word for it and I agree with your assessment.

Do you remember when Eddie stopped Huerta with leg kicks though? Pretty brutal, though roger was already pretty done at that point. But I remember it being a big big fight for bellator at the time

I think the biggest difference in their styles comes down to the wrestling. Edgar has drastically better wrestling. He has a better shot (single and double leg), sets up and times his takedowns better using strikes and doesn't have to rely so heavily on the cage to get opponents to the mat.

Back