Whats up with Alvarez Getting Dropped so Often?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Is it because he used to be over aggressive? I dont think hes been dropped in the UFC but he has fought fairly cautious and conservative throughout his UFC career.

Admittedly I havent seen many of his fights and only been a fan since the Chandler fights, but I know he got dropped by Kawajiri and Chandler. Does the Bellator announcer exaggerate this or does Alvarez get dropped and recover that much?

He's just trying to troll people into going to the ground with him.

1350190035_playingpossum.jpg

Often? You named two fights. What about his other 30 pro fights?

He tends to win a lot of the fights he gets hurt/dropped in. Think he's just one of those guys who gets dropped fairly often but doesn't really let it effect him like Trinidad or Marquez used to be in boxing

He tends to win a lot of the fights he gets hurt/dropped in. Think he's just one of those guys who gets dropped fairly often but doesn't really let it effect him like Trinidad or Marquez used to be in boxing
Or like Poirier, who would encounter a gust of chicken and then do the wind dance. He was never KO'd but Conor saw something in that peahead and put him to sleep.

I like Alvarez, but he doesn't have great striking defense from what I've seen.

He had a tendency to brawl and an old-school kill-or-be-killed mentality, that's the main issue.

Anyhow, it doesn't mean he's prone to get ko'd easily, contrary to what common sense would suggest. Eddie was stopped via strikes only once out of 30+ pro fights. Moreover, it was a WW bout early in his career against a much larger opponent who had almost 40 fights at the time, i.e. 4 times Alvarez' back then, and it was about 9 years ago. And still he wasn't even out cold, but in turtle mode. That's pretty impressive actually.

Edgar is kinda similar in respect of getting hurt.

He was in a lot of dog fights. He had that Robbie Lawler approach back then.

Nowadays when 1 lose means so much and can take you to the bottom of the list of contenders he is fighting smart.

People can hate him all they want but his goal is to win and he has that championship mentality where he does everything in his power to do it. It kind of reminds me of GSP approach: It may not be pretty but it is effective.

Gameplanning is an underrated aspect in MMA and I think Eddie has mastered it. After all he is not the best striker, grappler or wrestler at LW. Technically he is not the best fighter and he is still the champion going 3-1 against a murderers row being an underdog against all of them (cant remember Giblert odds tho)... he is the champion of arguably the most stacked division in the UFC.

wow, he got dropped in two fucking fights

He has been saved by amazing recovery but the times I can recall him being dropped were by bombs from some heavy hitters.

He was in a lot of dog fights. He had that Robbie Lawler approach back then.

Nowadays when 1 lose means so much and can take you to the bottom of the list of contenders he is fighting smart.

People can hate him all they want but his goal is to win and he has that championship mentality where he does everything in his power to do it. It kind of reminds me of GSP approach: It may not be pretty but it is effective.

Gameplanning is an underrated aspect in MMA and I think Eddie has mastered it. After all he is not the best striker, grappler or wrestler at LW. Technically he is not the best fighter and he is still the champion going 3-1 against a murderers row being an underdog against all of them (cant remember Giblert odds tho)... he is the champion of arguably the most stacked division in the UFC.
Its accurate to say he is good at all aspects of MMA but great at none.

eddie chin is fine . conor just trying to throw shade.

hes accurate when he said it to dustin because dustin does get wobbled or dropped to one knee alot. kind of stupid against eddie though

wow, he got dropped in two fucking fights

TS's limited knowledge of Eddie's fights doesn't discredit his point. Watch Eddie's Grand Prix run in DREAM. His fights with Hansen, Amade and Kawajiri were brutal and prime examples of Eddie getting rocked and dropped due to his stay in the pocket & swing away tactics in those days.

Back