Which other fighters would have been 2-weight champs if UFC handed them title shots?

Kelman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think Anderson Silva and Jose Aldo for sure.

If they'd been handed giftwrapped title shots where they didnt need to drop their own belts or fight any live contenders, I definitely think both could have done so.

Before JBJ came along and changed the lhw landscape with his size and style, I believe prime Anderson could've beaten some of the preceding champs like Chuck, Rampage, Forrest (obviously) and maybe even Machida or Shogun. Not sure he'd have beaten Rashad if Rashad chose to wrestle him, as that's a bad technical/physical match-up for Silva.

And I believe Aldo would have defeated all/any of the lightweight champions who held the strap during his fw reign. He has beaten Edgar twice, so I see no reason why he wouldnt have been able to do the same thing to Benson or Pettis. RDA would be a tougher fight, but I still see Aldo getting it done over 5 rounds.

Are there any others? Jones could probably have beaten one/some of the heavyweight chanps during his time as lhw champ, but from what he's said in interviews I dont think he ever actually wanted the shot or would have taken it if offered.

Could DC beat Miocic right now? That's an interesting one to consider. Or could DJ beat Cruz? I dont think so myself, and again, DJ has said he wouldnt want the opportunity anyhow.

Alot of fighters that's for sure. This is so manufactured and it's a major turn off.

I'll just watch Mcgregor/Alvarez for the great matchup that it is, but it's in no way a "superfight" lmao.

Daniel Cormier would beat Stipe and Tyrone Woodley would beat Bisping.

Just like TS said,Anderson if they gifted him a title shot over Forrest and Aldo if they gave him Frankie.

Mighty Mouse would have probably beat Barao and possibly Dillashaw.

I'd put money on MM beating TJ when he was champ.

Also, Franklin actually beat Lidell (albeit a Chuck that had his chin taken by Rampage and Rashad) so perhaps he could have taken LHW when they were both champs?

I'd also have fancied Chuck to beat Timmeh or Randy when they were HW champs.

If DC wanted a go at the HW belt you don't think the UFC would just let him? They'd do it with a drug free Jones too.
I don't see why people are so shocked by it. Ok the difference in weight divisions is a lot smaller in boxing but boxers do it all the time.

Hopefully conor paves the way for other champs. than we wont have these what if scenerios.

Jones. Anderson when Jones wasn't champ. Aldo depending on who was LW champ at the time. Maybe DC

DC could do it. Maybe MM as well, out of the current champs.

Unlike some people in here I do not think it would be that common at all. Anderson could have done it when Forrest was champ, obviously, but not once Jones arrived. Penn could have done it as well if the divisions were around and he made the right career/promotion decisions at the right time. Thinking about the divisions in the past:

FLW: been only one champ. DJ may be able to do it, but not while Cruz is around.

BW: I don't give Cruz much of a chance, tbh. A lot of what he does relies on size vs his opponents. Dillashaw would have a poor chance too.

FW: Aldo could have beaten some LW champs. Conor could beat Alvarez.

LW: Pettis, Bendo, RDA, Alvarez? No way. Edgar and Penn are possibilities. Edgar is a real chance if Aldo actually quits.

WW: Hughes, GSP, Miletich, Hendricks, Lawler, Woodley - don't see any of them doing it at LW or MW.

MW: Franklin, Rockhold, Bisping - no. Anderson could have won the LHW belt with the right opponent. Post USADA Weidman is a big question mark for me. He looked crap against Rockhold last December, but before that he looked fantastic and I think he could have troubled LHW.

LHW: Ortiz, Liddell, Rampage, Shogun, Forrest, Machida - no. Couture held belts in two divisions and DC was undefeated at HW, so those two I am sure could do it. Jones seems unlikely to me - he has struggled with tall guys with decent TDD in the past. I think if Rashad has been able to hang onto the LHW belt then he would have won MW as well, but he dropped the LHW belt immediately, so I'll say no for him.

HW: Timmeh, Arlovski, Mir, Brock, Werdum, JDS, Stipe - none of them make 205 without negatively affecting their performance.

My list wasn't exhaustive, I left out quite a few champs with limited defences. But I think out of the list, the guys who could have held simultaneous belts are:

Couture, DC, Silva, Edgar, Penn, Aldo, DJ. Most of those guys would need fortunate matchups too.

Open to any arguments or criticisms here, I've had a few drinks so I'm a bit less sharp even than usual - there's a scary thought...

Alot of fighters that's for sure. This is so manufactured and it's a major turn off.

how many champions have asked for a title fight in a higher weightclass? zero?

who says they wouldnt get it?

Chuck @Heavyweight for sure.

Dude could knock out a gorilla. He wasn't making the cut to MW though. He probably would KO HMC given the chance. Prime Sapp even.

Rampage/Randy
Aldo/Pettis
Anderson/Shogun
Anderson/Forrest

Back