Jeff Borris is trying to start a UFC Union and wants the min pay to be 25/25...New Roasted Pod

AdamHunter

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Here is the Brand New MMA Roasted Podcast. We have Leslie Smith and Jeff Borris in Studio. Al Iaquinta calls in. Jeff is an Sports Agent who has had clients such as Barry Bonds, Curt Schilling, Jose Canseco (and thousands of others) and is now trying to start a UFC Union. He talks about what he wants done and how Ari Emanual yelled at him and hung on him.

Al Iaquinta calls in and talks about how he is now selling real-estate, how the UFC won't let him out of his contract and why he has decided to stop fighting.

We then discuss this weeks fights, Leslie talks about fighting Cyborg and Rin Nikai, we give our predictions on this weeks fights and more.

Hope you enjoy the show.

Adam

Damn, didn't know Iaquinta quit over a contract dispute. I wouldn't think Al Iaquinta would have the money to even call their bluff with a lawsuit, but he could probably piggyback on Aldo's situation and make the case even stronger.

still chump change, but it's an okay start.

still chump change, but it's an okay start.

Definitely chump change -- 25/25 should be considered absolute minimum wage for a UFC fighter. The organization makes money hand over fist, and the expenses associated with being a fighter are high and continuous. It's just good business to invest money in your fighters to attract great talent and make sure that they put on the best fights that they can.

Jeff Borris is one of the silliest names I have ever heard.

<36>

Definitely chump change -- 25/25 should be considered absolute minimum wage for a UFC fighter. The organization makes money hand over fist, and the expenses associated with being a fighter are high and continuous. It's just good business to invest money in your fighters to attract great talent and make sure that they put on the best fights that they can.

Good luck convincing the "Hur Dur, they should do something else if they want to make money" crowd of that.

Their pea brains just can't understand that the more money fighters get paid, better athletes will start fighting and have the money to train full time, all of which will result in better fights.

WAY to many logical steps for IMG Idolators to understand.

Good luck convincing the "Hur Dur, they should do something else if they want to make money" crowd of that.

Their pea brains just can't understand that the more money fighters get paid, better athletes will start fighting and have the money to train full time, all of which will result in better fights.

WAY to many logical steps for IMG Idolators to understand.

Is that the prevailing sentiment around here? These guys gotta eat. And train. Suffer concussions and broken bones. Maybe sleep. And then do it all over again the following day. Right now, they're independent contractors who aren't even granted the right of health insurance. Calling it now: the first organization that offers a living wage to fighters is the one that ends up the most lucrative -- and it's not going to be the UFC.

Is that the prevailing sentiment around here? These guys gotta eat. And train. Suffer concussions and broken bones. Maybe sleep. And then do it all over again the following day. Right now, they're independent contractors who aren't even granted the right of health insurance. Calling it now: the first organization that offers a living wage to fighters is the one that ends up the most lucrative -- and it's not going to be the UFC.
I would say at least 50% of the pay threads are comments like, "If they don't like the UFC money go to Bellator. Don't like it? Tough shit, find another job!". The UFC has done a great job making the sheeple UFC fans rather than fans of fighters. They have even bragged about it in investor meetings and how it makes the fighters replaceable and low paid.

They need a union so badly.

They have even bragged about it in investor meetings and how it makes the fighters replaceable and low paid.

Do you have any links to articles discussing this? I knew this was going to happen after the WME-IMG acquisition. I'm pretty sure it's been happening since the beginning, but I just had a feeling that the suits would be very brazen about reminding fighters that were/are dispensable after the money hit the table. This is part of the reason why I really want Nick Diaz's pro-union efforts to gain some major traction -- it would just be so ironic and amazing if a fighter who was constantly undervalued throughout his career spearheaded a kind of financial justice in the sport.

I remember Renan Barao made like 10 grand for a title fight some years ago...Yet CM Punk got 500k.

Something needs to be done, It really is shameful...

Last edited:
I would say at least 50% of the pay threads are comments like, "If they don't like the UFC money go to Bellator. Don't like it? Tough shit, find another job!". The UFC has done a great job making the sheeple UFC fans rather than fans of fighters. They have even bragged about it in investor meetings and how it makes the fighters replaceable and low paid.

They need a union so badly.

youre right, but i guess in a way if lots of the roster got a new job and UFC wasnt looking attractive to anyone, the UFC would have to bump up the pay and benefits considerably to get people back.

Do you have any links to articles discussing this? I knew this was going to happen after the WME-IMG acquisition. I'm pretty sure it's been happening since the beginning, but I just had a feeling that the suits would be very brazen about reminding fighters that were/are dispensable after the money hit the table. This is part of the reason why I really want Nick Diaz's pro-union efforts to gain some major traction -- it would just be so ironic and amazing if a fighter who was constantly undervalued throughout his career spearheaded a kind of financial justice in the sport.

UFC should cut about 200 fighters and cut two matches from the prelims to start paying fighters more money. Subtraction=Addition

UFC should cut about 200 fighters and cut two matches from the prelims to start paying fighters more money. Subtraction=Addition
that gives the competition a lot of options of folks to sign - the idea is to lock people into contracts so the competition cant sign them - and people get stupid and sign contracts easy, only regretting it later

that gives the competition a lot of options of folks to sign - the idea is to lock people into contracts so the competition cant sign them - and people get stupid and sign contracts easy, only regretting it later

Yeah but the bottom/mid level guys are not draw and wouldn't make a difference. Plus, the competition Bellator(on a strict budget by Viacom) WSOF(no money), and international organizations that are not stable.

You'd think a union would want to get rid of win bonuses. 25/25 just lets the UFC sign two fighters for 50k each (in the fighters minds) while only spending 75k

I wouldn't exactly call 50k chump change.

It's seem like a lot, because fighters have a shorter career span to earn that money, but 50k for, let's say a 30-fight career, pretty much equals what an average human being makes in his or her 40-years career. That's win bonus included.

Back