Luke Thomas: "If Mcgregor wins, while great, is not the same as working your way up from LW"

Hardkore

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score

Time stamp 50:00

I was kind of surprised to hear this from Luke, normally he's slurping all over Mcgregor, however he actually raised my eyebrows listening to his latest thoughts on his Wednesday Live Chat.

Basically, Luke said, if Mcgregor beats Eddie Alvarez and takes his belt, while it would be a fantastic achievement, it wouldn't be as impressive or grandiose as a guy working his way from the bottom and winning the title.

Luke believes it's far more impressive and harder to earn your title shot and winning it by beating guys through the ranks in your division, than simply having a title shot given to you.

I thought he brought up some valid points and interesting views on the legitamcy of heirarchy and rankings within the UFC, and whether Mcgregor' instant title shot and jumping over rankings and more established fighters damages the "sport" in the long run.

Last edited:
Who the Fook is this gEYE
parrot.jpg

You don't traditionally have to work your way up through a division when you hold the lower division's lineal belt. That isn't how other combat sports handle it and it isn't how MMA has done things.

He earned a title shot at FW.

Time stamp 52:00

I was kind of surprised to hear this from Luke, normally he's slurping all over Mcgregor, however he actually raised my eyebrows listening to his latest thoughts on his Wednesday Live Chat.

Basically, Luke said, if Mcgregor beats Eddie Alvarez and takes his belt, while it would be a fantastic achievement, it wouldn't be as impressive or grandiose as a guy working his way from the bottom and winning the title.

Luke believes it's far more impressive and harder to earn your title shot and winning it by beating guys through the ranks in your division, than simply having a title shot given to you.

I thought he brought up some valid points and interesting views on the legitamcy of heirarchy and rankings within the UFC, and whether Mcgregor' instant title shot and jumping over rankings and more established fighters damages the "sport" in the long run.

I think that's a stupid way to look at it considering McGregor did that in one division already and then will have accomplished something unprecedented.

You don't traditionally have to work your way up through a division when you hold the lower division's lineal belt. That isn't how other combat sports handle it and it isn't how MMA has done things.

He earned a title shot at FW.

In one word. No. Hasn't even defended his own weight division and he's earned another title shot?

I think that's a stupid way to look at it considering McGregor did that in one division already and then will have accomplished something unprecedented.

Hasn't even defend his own belt once, and he's entitled to get an immediate title shot at LW? No, I disagree.

What does that have to do with Luke's assertion? Is Eddie a FW?
I don't understand how a champion vs. champion match-up really counts as jumping ahead of people. Its a better money making fight than anyone else in that division right now.

i don't see how anyone could argue against this

In one word. No. Hasn't even defended his own weight division and he's earned another title shot?

Nah, I just think it doesn't take away from a win. I agree with his first LW title shot before he lost to Diaz.

The UFC has made it so transparent it's hard to keep credibility if he tried to play it off as anything legitimate in terms of competition.

No shit lol still impressive if he wins, but not as great as it could have been if he won it right after knocking out Aldo. Because now he's only the champ that was able to hold onto his belt because he never had to defend it once for a whole year while going 1-1 with Diaz, that's what diminishes it a little.

Luke Thomas troll game is underrated.

Back