'Cowboy' Oliveira: "I walk around 203lbs, but I'll make weight against Will Brooks"

MMABr

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
He just said this in an interview for Combate.

This dude is crazy big for the LW division. He just recently dwarved his last opponent when he was fighting at WW. I've got to wonder if it's a good decision to drop down again?

He is also 185cm btw, which is 6'1 in the US. I don't know why he is billed as 5'11. Looked bigger and taller thn Cerrone, with also a much bigger reach at 76.5'.

Brutal cut.

20150320020614_IMG_0301.JPG

How do you guys see this fight playing out? If Oliveira's TDD is on point, I believe he does have a solid shot at winning.

Brooks looked very beatable in his debut, but who knows what version of him will show up.

Brooks has been stopped once and Cowboy has power but I think if Brooks can survive the early attack of Cowboy he can grind out the next 2 rounds for a dec win.

Brooks via UD

Wouldn't be surprised at all. Oliveira seems to fight better at WW.

Brooks will need to do much more than against Pearson in his debut.

not a terrible co-main however, should be a fun fight hopefully.

He is not the best Cowboy but I believe he wins, he is incredibly talented and future champ imho.

Damn. I didn't know ppl were picking cowboy. I had only seen his fight against cerrone & kinda wrote him off. This makes it much more interesting. I hope Brooks wins tho, just bc that's a retarded amount of weight to lose for 155.

This guy made Cerrone look small. Strangely built dude. I'm surprised he can make 155. Cerrone is 6'. He might be 6'1" with his boots on.

He's not the only one @ LW that cuts from nearly 200lbs

people give Conor shit but he would be one of the smaller LWs

He's not the only one @ LW that cuts from nearly 200lbs

people give Conor shit but he would be one of the smaller LWs
He's not cutting nearly a quarter of his weight. Nobody is.

This dude is crazy big for the LW division. He just recently dwarved his last opponent when he was fighting at WW. I've got to wonder if it's a good decision to drop down again?

He is also 185cm btw, which is 6'1 in the US. I don't know why he is billed as 5'11. Looked bigger and taller thn Cerrone, with also a much bigger reach at 76.5'.

Brutal cut.

How do you guys see this fight playing out? If Oliveira's TDD is on point, I believe he does have a solid shot at winning.

Brooks looked very beatable in his debut, but who knows what version of him will show up.
Oliveira has so much power he can get a ko at any moment. Brooks knows and will take him to the ground ASAP, to avoid his powerful shots. It´s not the best strategy to stay on the feet against Oliveira, specially knowing his hole is in the grappling department, so I expect an early takedown. Cerrone was able to finish Oliveira early because he has bjj, Brooks is not on the same level and Oliveira is so strong he´ll be able to get back up and will have his chances to land big shots. Great fight.

Oliveira has so much power he can get a ko at any moment. Brooks knows and will take him to the ground ASAP, to avoid his powerful shots. It´s not the best strategy to stay on the feet against Oliveira, specially knowing his hole is in the grappling department, so I expect an early takedown. Cerrone was able to finish Oliveira early because he has bjj, Brooks is not on the same level and Oliveira is so strong he´ll be able to get back up and will have his chances to land big shots. Great fight.
Brooks is not on the same level as Donald in BJJ, but I believe that he has better wrestling so I wouldn't be surprised if he got the takedown early in the fight and stuck to Alex for the rest of the round, he has shown good top control in some of his fights. Will be interesting to see how the stand up unfolds, both guys have nice movement.

Brooks is not on the same level as Donald in BJJ, but I believe that he has better wrestling so I wouldn't be surprised if he got the takedown early in the fight and stuck to Alex for the rest of the round, he has shown good top control in some of his fights. Will be interesting to see how the stand up unfolds, both guys have nice movement.
I know, but even considering Brooks great top control, this Oliveira guy was a bull rider in Brazil, obviously this doesn´t have to do with mma skills, but he has trully stupid strength, so unless his weight cut affects him too much, it´s gonna be almost impossible to hold him down, and that´s probably what he´s been training, tdd and getting back up. Brooks needs to capitalize with gnp if he takes this guy down.

Gross.
UFC set a new standard with its drug testing policies. They need to do the same with the weight cutting epidemic. No way this guy should be fighting at 155.

Suddenly everyones a cowboy oliveira fan. Future champ...stupid strength...ko machine....WTF?

Brutal cut.

He isn't not taller than Cerone. 5'11 - 6 is correct, but he is a touch shorter than cerone. I watched the fight again.

This guy is criminally underrated.
Woodley also said that Oliveira is the strongest LW ever, stronger than Tibau.

Well, he missed weight now.

Like I said, he should be fighting at WW! He makes some WWs look small.

Back