Ben Affleck, Tom Brady, Serena Williams among celebrity investors in UFC

Pliny Pete

Puts Butts In Seats
@plutonium
Reaction score
The UFC is going Hollywood. In a big way.

The mixed martial arts promotion has a host of new celebrity investors, including Ben Affleck and Serena and Venus Williams, according to an article published Thursday night by the Wall Street Journal. UFC officials, including president Dana White, confirmed the news on Twitter.

Also on Thursday night, late night talk show host Conan O'Brien announced he had also invested in the UFC, listing other celebrity names who have done the same: Tom Brady, Mark Wahlberg, Adam Levine, Cam Newton, LL Cool J, Maria Sharapova and Sylvester Stallone. The Journal reported that Jimmy Kimmel and Tyler Perry also now have a stake in the world's leading MMA property. O'Brien described it as "a small ownership stake."

Emanuel would not comment any IPO plans. He did say there were plans to add more content to the UFC Fight Pass digital service that was not just fights and have more crossovers with UFC fighters in different forms of entertainment.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/2...ena-williams-among-celebrity-investors-in-ufc

Well an entertainment company did purchase the UFC. It makes sense. I hope UFC starts putting on more entertaining shows. Right now it's so bland and uniform. Every event looks the same. Learn a thing or two from Rizin.

Hardy better try to do a Mad Max UFC crossover.... UFC 225 - THUNDERDOME!

I hope when Conor goes on Conan to promote 205 the latter says something like, "You know I'm your boss now, right? SHINE MY SHOES, MANLET!"

Maybe now all the people saying it was a bad investment will open their closed minds and realized that a Hollywood heavyweight didnt spend 4 billion dollars on the UFC just to try and make money off PPV buys
UFC is about to be transformed into a full entertainment company and you're gonna see fighters in all kinds of different media/acting/entertainment roles
Ari Emanuel is basically doing the exact same thing that Vince McMahon is trying to do with the WWE
Oh man are the "hardcores" gonna be pissed about this

I hope when Conor goes on Conan to promote 205 the latter says something like, "You know I'm your boss now, right? SHINE MY SHOES, MANLET!"
Nobody on this website uses the term "manlet " correctly. Literally nobody.

It sounds like a private equity offering to qualified investors. The new ownership has a pipeline into these wealthy stars and reduces its own exposure by selling some of its position to them. They are now more likely to show up at UFC events, etc. It is a smart move and will help promote the sport.

I guess none of those celebs ever read any of the "UFC is dying" threads that used to be on here all the time.

Maybe now all the people saying it was a bad investment will open their closed minds and realized that a Hollywood heavyweight didnt spend 4 billion dollars on the UFC just to try and make money off PPV buys
UFC is about to be transformed into a full entertainment company and you're gonna see fighters in all kinds of different media/acting/entertainment roles
Ari Emanuel is basically doing the exact same thing that Vince McMahon is trying to do with the WWE

They're going to say it should be more like a sport so fighters should go to RIZIN. Which shows how retarded they are, since you can't get much more pro-wrasslingy in MMA than RIZIN.

Nobody on this website uses the term "manlet " correctly. Literally nobody.

Let me guess, you're like 5'9" and are butthurt that people on Sherdog correctly refer to your kind as manlets. Lol.

so they start stocking up on content and in a little bit they get a tv channel

Let me guess, you're like 5'9" and are butthurt that people on Sherdog correctly refer to your kind as manlets. Lol.
No it's just annoying that one of the most used terms on here is used in the wrong context 100% of the time.

I'll believe it when I see it. I can see them being placed into commercials and shit but that's it. The acting roles will essentially be two bit cameo appearances and main starring in straight to dvd movies.

im surprised ben affleck isnt passionately anti-ufc

maybe his image manager hasn't told him to be yet

It would be strange if the hardcores are pissed about that since most of the hardcores loved Pride and old UFC.

It was the "reinvented" TUF era UFC that went with a strict athletics league image. Before that MMA was all about pyrotechnics and freakshows and cameos.

I'll believe it when I see it. I can see them being placed into commercials and shit but that's it. The acting roles will essentially be two bit cameo appearances and main starring in straight to dvd movies.
And whats wrong with that?
Money is money right?

Ari Emanuel aint gonna be satisfied with straight to DVD though
Hes the king of Hollywood if he wants to make someone a star he has all the power in the world and the machinery already in place to make it happen
Personally I cant wait to watch all the crybabies bitch and moan about Conor taking over Hollywood next

I mean if Batman himself is donating, then I'm guess it's all good. Even got Bane in here too.

Back