Surprised the UFC matched Alvarez and McGregor

MMAfangirl

@MMAfangirl
@White
Reaction score
Must have been McGregor strong-arming them again because I can't imagine them wanting this fight for McG. Pettis is more experienced, stronger, and a larger man and Alvarez smothered him in a boring fight. If Pettis couldn't keep him off, can McGregor? Will McG have a brief window of time at the beginning of each round to get a KO before he's taken down?

Will watch. Would have enjoyed both of them defending their titles against worthy challengers. Asking Aldo to take an interim title fight and then asking him to defend it, while Conor has had two fights and is scheduled for a third is disrespectful. Conor has a chance, but, I am not excited for this fight too much and I actually like Conor.

are you actually surprised or did you just want to make a thread?

The UFC was probably thinking that they need to give Conor the shot before Khabib takes the LW belt.

"They're all the same...now get me two jiu jitsu coaches and a 300,000 dollar camp."

This can't be serious... Conor should have a much easier time keeping Eddie off him than Pettis did. Boxing is the weakest part of Pettis' game and he's known to shut down when he's pressured. I have a really tough time seeing Eddie winning this fight, he keeps himself way too open to that counter left.

I dont think Pettis is larger than Conor but he does have better TDD and a much, much better ground game. The major difference is Conor has better boxing so in close he's more of a threat for Eddie but we've seen Eddie smother much better grapplers

The UFC was probably thinking that they need to give Conor the shot before Khabib takes the LW belt.

This sounds reasonable. Eddie is known to go all out and have wars where he takes the risk of getting knocked out to get a knock out in the past and most currently in the RDA fight. If Eddie comes out swinging early in the fight Conor has chance at catching him with something. If Khabib had the shot first and got the belt then everyone would expect him to grapple Conor into oblivion and ruin his first attempt and maybe last attempt at the LW strap.

I dont think Pettis is larger than Conor but he does have better TDD and a much, much better ground game. The major difference is Conor has better boxing so in close he's more of a threat for Eddie but we've seen Eddie smother much better grapplers

Conor's boxing could be the difference, for sure. I hope so. I would hate to see what he has built hit a road bump because of being smothered. That always sucks.

Sad Alvarez did not get his contract renegotiated, fuck Dana, but Conor wants to fight for a title so he gets what he wants. Sad Alvarezs' Agent did not know other fights were just to make him get lowballed really bad. Pathetic Dana, really pathetic.

This can't be serious... Conor should have a much easier time keeping Eddie off him than Pettis did. Boxing is the weakest part of Pettis' game and he's known to shut down when he's pressured. I have a really tough time seeing Eddie winning this fight, he keeps himself way too open to that counter left.

Wrestling is the weakest part of Pettis' game and Pettis has actually shown better takedown defense and of course ability to fight off his back than McGregor. On the other hand, Pettis still outboxed Alvarez quite clearly in the first two rounds and battered Eddie, and McGregor is a way better boxer than Pettis.

Back