Korean martial arts in UFC?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I know some fighters train TKD, but what about Hapkido and Tang Soo Do?

Now I understand hapkido is a mixed style meant for self-defense, but it does have throws and some submissions. Also, isn't Tang Soo Do a mix of Karate and TKD?

Whatever works in real time, real pressure is worth a try bro

not as effective as Shuai Jiao or finger striking the body

Hapkido is kicks, punches, and wrist/forearm joint locks; not too applicable in MMA. Tang Su Do is TKD like but less focused on kicking; very good for kickboxing (Chuck Norris) but not many MMA fighters (that I know of).

Greg Stott trained in Rex Kwon Do, but that led to disastrous results so there haven't been anymore cross-over athletes since then.

For all we know the grandmaster's star pupils have already tried to dominate the MMA scene. The fact that not one has shown up Machida style means they probably didn't make it through the regional circuits, then there's the whole " it's too deadly an art " bullshit angle.

Hapkido with jiujitsu or catch wrestling would work well, but the problem is the number of people who study HKD vs TKD. I've met fewer than ten HKD blackblelts vs. hundreds of TKD blackbelts. I did have the opportunity to see a Korean university HKD program and was impressed with the emphasis on good hand striking techniques and smooth transitions to grappling and submissions (not a lot of focus on positional work which is why it should be supplemented with another grappling art). The kicking is more circular and is designed more for power versus TKD's quickness since HKD practitioners are less worried about takedowns.
As for Tang Soo Do, how many people study it? I've never even met one student let alone a blackbelt.

I was a red belt in TSD but haven't done it in like 10 years.

Also, is Judo considered a Korean style? I know it's japanese but it's such a big thing in Korea as well.

I was a red belt in TSD but haven't done it in like 10 years.

Also, is Judo considered a Korean style? I know it's japanese but it's such a big thing in Korea as well.
There are a lot of judo guys in Korea, obviously, Stun Gun most prominently in the UFC. In Korea it's called Yudo. But I think it's safe to say it's origins are Japanese.

Joe Son Do is another major korean TMA that is used a lot in MMA

dude... punching people in the face is all the same shit. doesn't matter what you call it.

Robert Whittaker trained in Hapkido also I believe

Not since they outlawed groin strikes.

Joe Son Do isn't about groin striking techniques. It's about being able to absorb groin strikes without tapping.

Seriously though, all striking techniques come down to 2 best, most refined martial arts: Muay Thai and boxing.

I know JJ tried the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique many times, but he never got further than the eye poke. And that's just number two on that list.

Back