Jim Miller vs Thiago Alves

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
While this fight may be competitive, I don't think it will be, at all.

I think Alves will be too big, too strong and powerful for Miller. He will be one of the most muscular lightweights in the division. The striking between them isn't close, Alves should stop all of Miller's takedowns and Alves has deadly knees from the clinch.

Alves by second round ko

How do you see this fight playing out?

I disagree. Alves hasn't won in 20 months. This is his first go round at LW and he has missed weight in the past at WW. Miller takes this via 3rd Sub. Also Alves gasses hard.

Miller isn't the same fighter he used to be, but Alves hasn't exactly been a world beater

I disagree. Alves hasn't won in 20 months. This is his first go round at LW and he has missed weight in the past at WW. Miller takes this via 3rd Sub. Also Alves gasses hard.
Examples of Thiago Alves gassing? Story fight maybe? Them body shots though

I like Thiago in this fight in a close one. He was at one time the best striker at WW not named GSP, and to this day he's still one of the more technical guys out there when he's on. He tends to do well against guys who he can bully backwards, I think he can do that in stretches to an aging Jim Miller -provided his weight cut goes well. Sneaky good counter punching, good in the pocket etc etc. IF Thiago at LW is a shadow of what he was during his WW run he'll maul Miller. I don't think he'll be that great, but he'll still be good enough to win a 29-28 close competitive type of fight.
Selfishly kind of hate Iaquinta for pouting about contract stuff, that would have been a better fight.

I just can't see Alves possibly surviving this cut... I don't understand.

I want to see how Alves looks at the scale, still questioning how he gets to 155 and his condition

For some reason I can see Thiago making a mistake in scrambling with Miller and getting caught in a submission.

If he makes LW comfortably (a guy who used to miss weight at 170) then I see bad things in Jim Miller's future. Like red, swollen legs.

While this fight may be competitive, I don't think it will be, at all.

I think Alves will be too big, too strong and powerful for Miller. He will be one of the most muscular lightweights in the division. The striking between them isn't close, Alves should stop all of Miller's takedowns and Alves has deadly knees from the clinch.

Alves by second round ko

How do you see this fight playing out?
Although it was over 10 years ago, Spencer Fisher took on Alves at 155 and faired pretty well.

Totally disagree. Miller by decision 30-27, he is better everywhere than Alves. Alves rarely ever fights too, and has had so much injuries and surgeries. Miller will be way too much for him.

Totally disagree. Miller by decision 30-27, he is better everywhere than Alves. Alves rarely ever fights too, and has had so much injuries and surgeries. Miller will be way too much for him.
Better everywhere? I can't agree with this lol, I think it will be a repeat of Cerrone vs Miller.

If Miller takes advantage early, I could see it playing out this way too. Miller is an underrated striker, who is a tricky southpaw with a strong clinch game. It's a common misconception that Alves is some explosive power puncher, or first round fighter - because while there are examples of him demolishing dudes early, or with one or two shots, his absolute best performances come when he can settle into a rythym early in a fight and unload with more and more combinations late. If Miller never lets him settle, I could see him overwhelming Alves to a decision -
But Miller's old too, and a lot of things he does feed directly into prime Alves' game, he'll often give up initiative if a guy isn't willing to back up, and that'll open up kicks for Thiago - plus he's hittable in the pocket, and vulnerable to the body. I also think Alves is a better wrestler, both offensively and defensively - just doesn't show great fight IQ choosing when and where to use it all the time.

I honestly expect Alves to win pretty decisively and go on a little run a lightweight. I don't think he'll win the belt or anything. Doubt he'll even get near the top 5. But I expect him to win this fight, and win a few more, and give us all a reason to talk about him again.

Although it was over 10 years ago, Spencer Fisher took on Alves at 155 and faired pretty well.
Meh
Thiago Alves outwrestled him for 13 minutes and got caught in a submission
He spent like the entire fight on top in half guard iirc

Couldn't of said it better. Alvez has been on such a decline he isn't the same. This weight cut I believe will drain him too much and he'll gas out fast.

Back