Gabriel Gonzaga retires, says he's embarrassed to be part of sport that Conor is the star of

KONE

Double Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/2...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

"I don’t plan on coming back," Gonzaga said. "I’m taking care of my new gym, Squared BJJ. If I get an offer, it has to be a great offer, or I’ll keep competing in jiu-jitsu against people my age. I’m probably retired already. I will only fight again if there’s a good offer, financially speaking, and I don’t think any promotion wants me."

"I don’t fight for less than 100 thousand dollars," he said. "I’m 37 years old and I won’t risk my health or waste my time training and suffering for this. I don’t need it anymore. God gave me a good opportunity in life, and I don’t need this anymore. That would be my number. For less than 100 thousand, I wouldn’t step into a ring anymore."

"The UFC is more like a show than a fight sport now," Gonzaga said. "[Conor] McGregor is the biggest example. I’m embarrassed to be in a sport where McGregor is the biggest idol. If you wouldn’t like your son to be like the biggest idol in your sport, there’s something wrong with it. And I don’t believe anyone would like to have a son like McGregor."

"Sports are made to create examples to the society as a whole," he continued. "If that’s the example, someone that talks trash about people or an entire community, he become the example for the young generation entering the sport, they will want to be like this idol. If that’s the idol, I don’t want my son fighting MMA anymore and behaving like that."

inb4 Conor fans border on fighter bashing and call Gonzaga a "bum" in 10 different ways and post gifs of him losing

Last edited:
Gabe should be more embarrassed from his recent fights...

Gonzagas son couldn't play any sport then.

How'd he feel when Jones was at the top?

I think plenty of promotions would want him. But Solid decision though if he has a gym and a living - life isn't all about millions and fancy disposable shit.

Inb4 somebody calls me poor.

Gabe was already planning this retirement for a while, I'm sure, he's just saying this to show solidarity with Aldo, his fellow Brazilian.

McG will be the start of the demise of the UFC. Rizin taking over. Everybody wants to go to Rizin or their partners Bellator now.

Last edited by a moderator:
he hasn't had the drive to compete in a while

Gabe should be more embarrassed from his recent fights...

Gonzaga just got old man, he's paid his dues. Still has one of the most iconic KO's in MMA history and was a solid gatekeeper. Could've been worse.

I support Gonzaga retiring , and while I understand where he's coming from, I don't agree with his latter point and sports needing to create idols. Either way, Good luck to him and all his endeavors .

Right. Conor is the reason he's retiring. Nevermind the whole washed up, can't keep up with the HW division, no big pay day in sight thing.

Nope. It's all Conor's fault.

He would return immediately if offer would be good enough.

Gonzaga would murder Mcgayur in a fight.

Back