What To Do With Robbie Lawler In His First Return Fight?

ChosenMMA

Part Of DC Nation & The Cruz & Velasquez Wagon
@purple
Reaction score
Unless I have missed something, the return of Lawler is still up in the air after pulling out of the Cerrone fight, who is now going to be fighting Gastlum at 205.

I think we will see Lawler return in the first half of 2017, who knows who will be in the mix at that point but looking at the current fights and routes, where do we go for his first fight back?

Potentially matching him with the winner of Cerrone/Gastlum seems the most obvious choice considering he was going to fight Cerrone anyway, the winner of that fight will be on the cusp of the title discussion or at least fringe.

Maia is definitely going to be next in line for a shot at the winner of Woodley/Thompson, he doesn't need to do anything else and should only take the title fight next? maybe others think different.

If you go down the rest of the rankings, Condit and Hendricks careers are in a mess and who knows what they are doing, Larkin is coming off a solid win against Magny.

Discuss.

GSP. No, wait, he might retire again if that's mentioned.

Winner of Woodley - Thompson fights Maia and winner of Cowboy - Gastelum fights Lawler for the post-Maia title shot. I like that, but GSP's return could shake things up.

Nick Diaz or bust. You guys didn't want Nick to get an undeserved title shot. Well now there's no fucking excuse to not make this fight.

Winner of Cowboy-Gastelum maybe?

Hopefully Nick Diaz part II or they rebook the Cowboy fight.

Hopefully Nick Diaz part II or they rebook the Cowboy fight.

Nick posted on his social media earlier in the week which hinted at him being back soon, maybe they are making the Lawler fight.

Lawler vs Cerrone or Nick Diaz 2 or Condit 2, or Larkin 2, or Nelson

I wanna see the Diaz rematch. But honestly, Lawler doesn't have boring fights. So put him in there with whoever. Either he smashes them, they smash him, or they beat the living shit out of each other. But Diaz would be my first choice.

Not the same since USADA. Don't see him being elite anymore

Back