Outside of Hughes & Pierre, Who Has Been The Best UFC Welterweight?

ChosenMMA

Part Of DC Nation & The Cruz & Velasquez Wagon
@purple
Reaction score
Going to have a lot of different answers for this most likely, but who would you go with?

Jake tha snake Shields

Win over Lawler, Condit, Maia, Woodley, Okami

Dan F*cking Henderson...

Jake Shields on paper I suppose? Lol

I don't miss that fucker one bit, though.

i now it sound stupid but jon fitch had a pretty good run in the ufc.

Fitch and Jake Shields come to mind. Maia, though more recent, has been an absolute destroyer of late with wins over Condit, Brown, Nelson, Magny and Fitch.

Maia's getting close to that age where he could see a sharp decline, but the work he's put in to develop an actual wrestling game to supplement his world class BJJ has really turned the corner for him.

In terms of best fighter I would actually put Lawler, Shield and Maia ahead of Hughes. There was not a single elite wrestler to nullify Hughes takedowns in his days (was Sherk elite?). Imagine Matt in his prime against a Koschek, Maia, Fitch, Hendricks or Lawler. What would the odd be for such fights?!!! Also, Hughes was lucky quite often; his fight with Newton should have been a draw, GSP lost when he was green and literally gave his arm..., BJ was destroying him until he gazed, Matt fought the most overrated fighter of all time in Gracie (the guy was great in first UFCs because no one knew BJJ). If Hughes was born 7 years later, he would just be a middle of the pack fighter in the UFC.

Back