How can Garbrandt beat Cruz?

Lawblaw

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I like the guy but seriously, those wild haymakers are not the best idea to fight a guy like Cruz

Th7S_o.gif

Well he could knock him out, or get the ref to intervene due to unanswered strikes. He could even make Cruz tap or pass out.

His most likely route to victory is just catching Cruz with the right shot at the right time.

Personally I think Cruz takes Cody to school

By punching him in the face
Not bad, but be more specific.

He can win by KO, TKO, technical submission, submission, decision, majority decision, split decision, by Cruz being disqualified...did I miss anything?

you know how cruz circled into a few of dillashaw's kicks? he would literally have to do that into one of cody's punches. shit ain't happening though

He can't, period.

This.

Cruz is a styalistic disaster for Garbrandt

CruZ Arche-type is probably a dominant offense-heavy wrestler who has knock out power. Not sure if they exist in his division

Cruz will reign for a while

Garbrandt had his first boxing bout at 14, Cruz at 20.
I'm more worried about Cruz wrestling and his takedowns, as Cody can get a bit off balanced with his hooks, although he has very good technique.
Garbrandt has a wrestling background as well and trains at alpha male, so he will be fine on the ground. But not too fine.

Discover Cruz's movement patterns. Once you get how he reacts, use the appropriate feints. Throw the actual techniques just enough to keep him guessing. Once you get the timing of the pattern you've been looking for, because you and your coach spent a lot of time watching Cruz's feet. You start leading him into hard shots. Only do one noticed pattern at a time, let him think he has another pattern he can rely on. Reacts to jabs by other fighters by doing X. When he does X because of my jab, I can do Y. When he inevitably tries to draw your attention to a hand by waving it away from his body, look at his chest. That way, you can see either punch coming. Also don't pay attention to his feet as he shuffles, like the waving hand it's a trick to draw your eyes.

Basically, figure out how he reacts to attacks and (use those attacks/feint them) to lead him into Cody's hardest shots.

Garbrandt had his first boxing bout at 14, Cruz at 20.
I'm more worried about Cruz wrestling and his takedowns, as Cody can get a bit off balanced with his hooks, although he has very good technique.
Garbrandt has a wrestling background as well and trains at alpha male, so he will be fine on the ground. But not too fine.
But could he even threaten Cruz at all?

I just don't see it. And then Dominikc picks him apart on the feet.

Theres a reason Dom is #2p4p in the world.

TJ is FAST, and he couldn't even tag Cruz cleanly even while Cruz had his back against the cage.

Cody has a puncher's chance though, like everyone else in any mma fight.

Discover Cruz's movement patterns. Once you get how he reacts, use the appropriate feints. Throw the actual techniques just enough to keep him guessing. Once you get the timing of the pattern you've been looking for, because you and your coach spent a lot of time watching Cruz's feet. You start leading him into hard shots. Only do one noticed pattern at a time, let him think he has another pattern he can rely on. Reacts to jabs by other fighters by doing X. When he does X because of my jab, I can do Y. When he inevitably tries to draw your attention to a hand by waving it away from his body, look at his chest. That way, you can see either punch coming. Also don't pay attention to his feet as he shuffles, like the waving hand it's a trick to draw your eyes.

Basically, figure out how he reacts to attacks and (use those attacks/feint them) to lead him into Cody's hardest shots.

Nice analysis there, my man. Only thing I think could be added to this is setting up leg kicks with feints and punches to stifle Cruz movement.

Not bad, but be more specific.

He can win by KO, TKO, technical submission, submission, decision, majority decision, split decision, by Cruz being disqualified...did I miss anything?

Technical decision

Happened in Jarjis Danho's UFC debut

This.

Cruz is a styalistic disaster for Garbrandt

CruZ Arche-type is probably a dominant offense-heavy wrestler who has knock out power. Not sure if they exist in his division

Cruz will reign for a while
Or reign until Dillashaw gets another win vs Cruz, this time official

Back