The “KO’d in 13 Seconds” Excuse

Rap Master C

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Before Conor fans throw insults at me for being an “Aldo fan”, I actually somewhat dislike Aldo because of his tendency to miss fights. I respect him for being an all-time great, though.

Now then, with regards to McGregor fighting Aldo in a rematch, all I’ve seen from McGregor fans and even direct statements from McGregor himself is “he was KO’d in 13 seconds! They can’t just take the belt away from someone who KO’d the champ in 13 seconds!”

The problem is the fact that losing via a one-punch KO in a few seconds actually means little in combat sports.

Let’s take a simple stroll down memory lane:

Junior dos Santos vs. Cain Velasquez I: Cain lost in basically the exact same fashion as Aldo - one punch at the start of the first round ended the fight.

JDS fans screamed left and right “JDS is a stylistic nightmare for Cain. A rematch is dumb. Bring on Overeem; no one wants to see Cain get owned again.”

How did that rematch go again? I can’t seem to remember…….

Junior-Dos-Santos-blood-covered-injured-face-in-UFC-166-versus-Velasquez.png

George St-Pierre vs. Matt Serra I: UFC GOAT vs. mediocre fighter. Few were interested in this fight and everyone “knew” GSP was going to win, but he lost pretty much the same way as the two aforementioned fighters.

“How did that rematch go?” you might be thinking. If you guessed a total GSP domination over Serra, you guessed correctly.

There are other examples even outside of MMA, such as prime Ramon Dekkers losing to Coban and then beating him in a rematch.

Had Conor dominated Aldo in a five-round massacre similar to what Cain did to JDS in their rematch, then yes, I’d agree that maybe this just isn’t the fight to make right now. In other words, defeating your opponent by dominating and clobbering them over the course of a few rounds is far more impressive and convincing of that fighter’s superiority than a quick one-punch KO.

Those things happen in this sport, no matter how good you are.

So what’s the deal here? Why should the fact that Aldo lost in 13 seconds dictate whether or not Aldo deserves a rematch?

Is Conor afraid of a rematch? Can he even cut back down to 145?

I like Conor because he backs up his trash talk with results, but you'd have to be a blind Conor fan to think he's a genuine featherweight champion when he hasn't even defended his title once.

Last edited:
you know what?

giphy.gif

i still want to see what would happen in a rematch

KO'd in 13 seconds

And you're an Aldo fan

But I literally stated that I'm not an Aldo fan, and that I like Conor more than Aldo.

I'm wondering where the logic is in the whole "13 seconds KO" thing.

But literally everyone says they are a fan before they trash it. ARE YOU NEW?!
@Son of Werdum will teach you the shittier points of pretending you're a fan

2 yrs of promotion & all Aldo had was

giphy.gif

But literally everyone says they are a fan before they trash it. ARE YOU NEW?!
@Son of Werdum will teach you the shittier points of pretending you're a fan

? I brought up a legitimate point and even used past fights to illustrate that point. Since when does criticizing something or someone whom you feel has strayed into a shady direction mean you aren't a "fan"?

KO'd in 13 seconds

And you're an Aldo fan

Does no one have constructive criticism? Is Sherdog not the place for it?

Aldo was KO'd in 13 seconds, but what about Cain and GSP? I guess they didn't deserve a rematch either...? Because they lost via one punch? Where is the logic?

Before Conor fans throw insults at me for being an “Aldo fan”, I actually dislike Aldo because of his tendency to miss fights. You get that? I am not an Aldo fan.

Now then, with regards to McGregor fighting Aldo in a rematch, all I’ve seen from McGregor fans and even direct statements from McGregor himself is “he was KO’d in 13 seconds! They can’t just take the belt away from someone who KO’d the champ in 13 seconds!”

The problem is the fact that losing via a one-punch KO in a few seconds actually means little in combat sports.

Let’s take a simple stroll down memory lane:

Junior dos Santos vs. Cain Velasquez I: Cain lost in basically the exact same fashion as Aldo - one punch at the start of the first round ended the fight.

JDS fans screamed left and right “JDS is a stylistic nightmare for Cain. A rematch is dumb. Bring on Overeem; no one wants to see Cain get owned again.”

How did that rematch go again? I can’t seem to remember…….

Junior-Dos-Santos-blood-covered-injured-face-in-UFC-166-versus-Velasquez.png

George St-Pierre vs. Matt Serra I: UFC GOAT vs. mediocre fighter. Few were interested in this fight and everyone “knew” GSP was going to win, but he lost pretty much the same way as the two aforementioned fighters.

“How did that rematch go?” you might be thinking. If you guessed a total GSP domination over Serra, you guessed correctly.

There are other examples even outside of MMA, such a prime Ramon Dekkers losing to Coban and then beating him in a rematch.

Had Conor dominated Aldo in a five-round massacre similar to what Cain did to JDS in their rematch, then yes, I’d agree that maybe this just isn’t the fight to make right now. In other words, defeating your opponent by dominating and clobbering them over the course of a few rounds is far more impressive and convincing of that fighter’s superiority than a quick one-punch KO.

Those things happen in this sport, no matter how good you are.

So what’s the deal here? Why should the fact that Aldo lost in 13 seconds dictate whether or not Aldo deserves a rematch?

Is Conor afraid of a rematch? Can he even cut back down to 145?

I like Conor because he backs up his trash talk with results, but you'd have to be a blind Conor fan to think he's a genuine featherweight champion when he hasn't even defended his title once.

I'm gonna be honest and say I didn't read most of this post. But I think I'm getting the gist of it.

How about any time someone gets knocked out within the first 20 seconds we deem it a no contest? Does that work for you?

It was gonna happen eventually inthe fi g t

Thirteen seconds is just testament to Jose being gotten to and going full retard. If he fought smart in a rematch I could see him dominating or at least out pointing Conor. Not to say that Conor couldn't catch him again, but at the very least, that quick KO doesn't speak to who Aldo is as a fighter. He didn't respect Conor and didn't think Conor could put him out like that. Now he knows and will act accordingly.

Sure, anything can happen in a rematch.

But the 13 seconds is still valid. Aldo lost quickly. He shouldn't whine so much but instead take care of business and win more fights. A rematch will come in due time.

Back