The UFC hoarding fighters just to keep them away from Bellator

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
Bigfoot Silva should have been cut 2 to 3 KOs ago but the UFC kept him around. He may be shot as a fighter but Bellator could still use him. Perhaps they don't want Bellator to benefit from a rematch with Fedor?

Hector Lombard. Absolutely destroyed in his last two fights. Suspended for PEDs before that. Don't know if the terms have changed since but his initial contract was quite lucrative. Could still be used by Bellator.

1-4 in the UFC Gilbert Melendez. Most fighters would have been cut before accumulating 4 losses with just one win. But still a name.

Andrei Arlovski was finished in his last three fights. Not only a name but a historic one.

Before his latest win, old man Hendo.

I'm sure there are others.

Standard UFC practice for a long time now. Bellator is actually getting a few more of the scraps than usual.

Bigfoot will probably go he has served his purpose. Giblert and Arlovski may get one more chance each.

If this is true, UFC should have let all of the above go to keep Rory.

Before their latest wins Tim Boetsch and Gray Maynard had some bad losing streaks. They're not exactly big names though.

Like to i said. .
Japanese orga = builds legends
Ufc = Destructs fighters

Sounds like good business. Sign people to contracts then pay them the minimum when you never actually have them fight

They run so many events that all those fighters you listed are headliners for them. UFC counts on fans to have short memories.

Bigfoot Silva should have been cut 2 to 3 KOs ago but the UFC kept him around. He may be shot as a fighter but Bellator could still use him. Perhaps they don't want Bellator to benefit from a rematch with Fedor?

Hector Lombard. Absolutely destroyed in his last two fights. Suspended for PEDs before that. Don't know if the terms have changed since but his initial contract was quite lucrative. Could still be used by Bellator.

1-4 in the UFC Gilbert Melendez. Most fighters would have been cut before accumulating 4 losses with just one win. But still a name.

Andrei Arlovski was finished in his last three fights. Not only a name but a historic one.

Bigfoot will be gone now, he was kept because he's big with good wins in the past and they can use him getting KTFO to hype other fighters.

Lombard was wrecking his last two opponents before they rallied, he's not a world beater but he deserves to still be in the UFC.

Gil, you kind of have a point but look at who he's lost too, it's not like he's been losing to bottom of the barrel guys.

Andrei is a former champ and fan favorite, they can still make money off of him.

Frank Mir is another who has requested release because of the failed test.

I truly think if Viacom invested more $$ in fighters and the promotion, and not going crazy like Affliction did with fighter pay, they could be a real threat to the UFC given the surge of disgruntled employees.

Sounds like smart business to me.

UFC rlly needs to stop hoarding

I can't imagine what their offices look like with all these fighters crammed in

Why should they grant him one? His fault he can't fight.
Never said they should, TS made a thread about UFC holding on to fighters. And Frank of course would argue that point. (and no that doesn't mean I agree with him)

Not true, when they had more threatening competitors they still let go guys that had names because they didnt have a spot for them.
Bigfoot and Hendo can still co-main, theyre more valuable than Michel Prazeres, same thing with Boestch, Marquardt or the other vets they're still in main cards most of the time.

Jake Ellenberger, Matt Brown and Jessica Eye come to mind. I like them all as fighters but their records are all awful as of late.

All the guys you listed are action fighters. It's not so much UFC hoarding as much as it is. They have so many cards that they can afford to give guys they'd generally cut an extra fight.

Bigfoot just got KO'd but you can toss him at a new heavyweight. He could win and boom they have him back. Or he loses and pushes a new guy.

Doesn't make sense to cut guys anymore with the roster the way it is. Half the guys you mentioned are heavyweights. Why would they cut names in a weak division.

Lots will change in the next 12 months. You're going to see a lot more fighters become more hesitant to sign long term contracts. Fighters are going to want a lot more specific clauses in their contracts as it pertains to many different situations....A lot of guys are going to Rizin and Bellator. Expect that roster to get thinned out somewhat.

Jake Ellenberger, Matt Brown and Jessica Eye come to mind. I like them all as fighters but their records are all awful as of late.
They were just about to cut Jake, but he begged for one last fight, good to see him back on the winning trail.

Back