Rewatched Alvarez vs Cerrone

• Thread starter Deleted member 479811
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 479811

First off, great fight, much recommend. Second, a couple observations:

1. Eddie really beat the breaks off the Donald in the first round. Completely outboxed him, landed the body jab and straight right dart a bunch. Looked to me like Cerrone's chin saved him from an onslaught that could've finished lots of other fighters.

2. Eddie looked to me outboxing Donald again in round 2, then started eating kick after kick. To me this is what lost him the fight: it looked like he had completely committed to a gameplan of catching the kicks and just wouldn't abandon trying to catch them even after it clearly wasn't working. It looked like the kicks clearly sapped his momentum, cardio, and then finally his ability to stand. This was mostly Muay Thai, though, and Eddie's been training with Barboza.

3. Eddie's wrestling looked pretty bad in this fight, tbh. Donald was standing straight upright and very close and looked to be wide open for shots that Eddie didn't take, and when he did he was diving from the top rather than level changing. Nothing like that monster double he erupted on RDA: maybe his wrestling technique has improved since?

All that said, I dunno folks. Eddie is a slick boxer, for sure, and he's gonna need it if he's trying to avoid getting slept early. I think he needs to be game plan ready and keep his wrestling sharp and be willing to clinch and grind McG in the early rounds.

Thoughts?

This fight is definitely going to be a challenge for conor until proven otherwise--obviously.

If Conor wins, this solidifies his legitimacy more than all his other fights. It's a big if though, burnt won't say he can't do it.

You should watch his other fights too. RDA fight is the only one that he looked good to me. He gassed in every fight too, so much for having great cardio or some shit like that.

Eddie got rekt in that fight. He had a good moment with the uppercuts from the clinch, but Cowboy said, "Not today, motherfucker!" and beat the brakes off of his ass. I was impressed Eddie made it to the final bell.

I thought Eddie won that fight, it was closer than you hear peolle say on here.

It was Eddies debut in the UFC and the jitters are real. Also, Cerrone is a tough SOB. This was also in a middle of a tare between loses to RDA . Credit to both guys. Cerrone also has a similar reach to Conor and is taller, still Eddie managed to land clean, solid punches. Everybody has improved since that time.

High hopes for this coming fight.

What
You should watch his other fights too. RDA fight is the only one that he looked good to me. He gassed in every fight too, so much for having great cardio or some shit like that.
What are you talking about? He's never been out cardio'd and he looked great vs Chandler II, beat roided Gil with one eye and then Shut down Pettis Completely. Then he had two fights of the year with Hansen and Kawajiri, hes as seasoned as it gets

I have not seem much of eddie, but to me he seems like a slightly larger version of Chad Mendez? Was Interesting to see Eddie is shorter than his listed height of 5'9, he looks to be 5'7

What

What are you talking about? He's never been out cardio'd and he looked great vs Chandler II, beat roided Gil with one eye and then Shut down Pettis Completely. Then he had two fights of the year with Hansen and Kawajiri, hes as seasoned as it gets
The fight with Pettis was closer than I remembered. I can't, in good conscious, say that Pettis has a legitimate claim for winning that fight but gosh damn it was far closer than what people make it out to be.

I thought Eddie won that fight, it was closer than you hear peolle say on here.
I like eddie, but the dude was
hobbling by the end of the fight.

It was his debut. Easy to look
past it, imo. He didn't get finished
or outclassed. He had his moments
& did what he had to do. Which was
to prove himself as a UFC contender

The fight with Pettis was closer than I remembered. I can't, in good conscious, say that Pettis has a legitimate claim for winning that fight but gosh damn it was far closer than what people make it out to be.

It was not a split decidion. Eddie beat him clearly.

I know Conor fans are new to this sport but they should check out that fight just to see how good Cerrones chin is. It's better than Nates.

It was not a split decidion. Eddie beat him clearly.
Anthony, for the most part, stopped alot of Eddie's takedown attempts and negated alot of his ground and pound as well. Lay n pray all day is what I can remember.

Eddie probably won on Octagon Control and aggressiveness, but still, close fight either way.

i was surprised eddie lasted until the final bell, he got his ass whooped

First off, great fight, much recommend. Second, a couple observations:

1. Eddie really beat the breaks off the Donald in the first round. Completely outboxed him, landed the body jab and straight right dart a bunch. Looked to me like Cerrone's chin saved him from an onslaught that could've finished lots of other fighters.

2. Eddie looked to me outboxing Donald again in round 2, then started eating kick after kick. To me this is what lost him the fight: it looked like he had completely committed to a gameplan of catching the kicks and just wouldn't abandon trying to catch them even after it clearly wasn't working. It looked like the kicks clearly sapped his momentum, cardio, and then finally his ability to stand. This was mostly Muay Thai, though, and Eddie's been training with Barboza.

3. Eddie's wrestling looked pretty bad in this fight, tbh. Donald was standing straight upright and very close and looked to be wide open for shots that Eddie didn't take, and when he did he was diving from the top rather than level changing. Nothing like that monster double he erupted on RDA: maybe his wrestling technique has improved since?

All that said, I dunno folks. Eddie is a slick boxer, for sure, and he's gonna need it if he's trying to avoid getting slept early. I think he needs to be game plan ready and keep his wrestling sharp and be willing to clinch and grind McG in the early rounds.

Thoughts?

Eddie a slick boxer? He's a lot of things - a slick boxer he's not.

See eddie is a high level wrestler and striker, and to back it up, he has an incredible chin. I wouldve gave mcgregor a slim chance against a high level wrestler like alvarez if the man had a weak chin, but this matchup is going to a nightmare for mcgregor. Just the fact that he predicted another 1st round ko goes to show how simple minded mcgregor really is with his skills, i mean cmon really? You are gonna knock out alvarez out of all people in the first round? I was laughing the same way alvarez was when mcgregor said that at the conference haha

Back