Question For You About Dominick Cruz Potentially Being A GOAT

ChosenMMA

Part Of DC Nation & The Cruz & Velasquez Wagon
@purple
Reaction score
I remember in a thread a while back, quite a few people refused to regard Cruz as a GOAT right now, but certainly is the best bantamweight of all time, which is understandable.

Cruz should get a fight in again this year and definitely needs an active 2017 with 2-3 fights, but to those who don't say he's one of the GOAT's just yet..

Does he need to move up to featherweight and go for the 145 title, or would Cruz beating the whole lot of contenders in Garbrandt, Dillashaw, Linekar, Dodson etc be enough?

Would love the Johnson rematch to.

JfpQVfq.jpg

With his lack of numbers (ala DJ, JJ, Gsp etc.) I would think he'd need something big like that to stake a claim.

Cruz would need to move up and fight whoever is the current FW champ

or defend his belt 9 times without losing a round for years

Since he lost rounds to TJ he has a lot of work to do

I remember in a thread a while back, quite a few people refused to regard Cruz as a GOAT right now, but certainly is the best bantamweight of all time, which is understandable.

Cruz should get a fight in again this year and definitely needs an active 2017 with 2-3 fights, but to those who don't say he's one of the GOAT's just yet..

Does he need to move up to featherweight and go for the 145 title, or would Cruz beating the whole lot of contenders in Garbrandt, Dillashaw, Linekar, Dodson etc be enough?

He's a human not a GOAT. TS did you fail grade school math?

Cruz has a lot of work to do before being in the GOAT talk.

Cruzus Christ is 7-0 in title fights and far and away the best BW to ever compete. I don't believe this moving up bullshit people keep spouting - GSP reigns as GOAT without it, Jones would as well if he hadn't been busted for PEDs. He's currently at five title defenses - if he can top Georges' count with 9 and retire anything around 26-1 having lost only once and avenged it twice, I'd put him neck and neck with GSP. The only caveat in favor of Georges is his ridiculous strength of schedule.

He was very inactive for a long time because of injury. Fought one time during 2012-2015. Most of his best wins are against guys who eventually became flyweights. Fight against Faber @ 134 was very competitive. He's moving in that direction. Really he just needs to be more active. Making a guest appearance at 145 would certainly help.
His second fight with Faber in 2011 was competitive, but then he easily beat him in their most recent rematch.

Cruzus Christ is 7-0 in title fights and far and away the best BW to ever compete. I don't believe this moving up bullshit people keep spouting - GSP reigns as GOAT without it, Jones would as well if he hadn't been busted for PEDs. He's currently at five title defenses - if he can top Georges' count with 9 and retire anything around 26-1 having lost only once and avenged it twice, I'd put him neck and neck with GSP. The only caveat in favor of Georges is his ridiculous strength of schedule.

Only question is will he be able to go on long enough to reign and clear out 135 completely? by that time comes, if it does at all, there will be new guys coming in, I think with the inactivity for so many years, he may do the 145 route at some point.

He'd need to clean out BW, which is well within the realm of possibility.

I would love to see him fight Aldo or McGregor. I think Holloway and Edgar are the toughest stylistic matchups for him at FW.

For sure, but Faber is obviously way over the hill now. He's 37 and been looking worse and worse since 2014.

Faber's last night was telling, I've always liked Faber and from here on will be tuning in to see him fight out of appreciation.

I agree he's definetly in the discussion would love to see him beat cody/tj again then maybe a bignore fight at 145 or with dj at 135

He's avenged his only loss 2x
Never ducked anyone
Beat the best p4p fighter in the world today in dj
To boot he had an amazing comeback story

Only question is will he be able to go on long enough to reign and clear out 135 completely? by that time comes, if it does at all, there will be new guys coming in, I think with the inactivity for so many years, he may do the 145 route at some point.

Who knows? We're talking about being the greatest to ever compete. Without injuries he'd probably already be at the point I described - he's lost a lot of time kicking names and taking ass because of his knees. That fact that he came back to win a title again at all is a small miracle. Carving out a nearly unbeaten resume full of title defenses and vanquished rivals might be asking too much, but if anyone can do it it's him.

Cruz is good, goat BW just the other contenders currently have a better stake. I'd like to see him rematch mighty mouse.

Dominick is definetly a great of the sport, im a huge fan, but at the same time i thought tj clearly beat him their last fight and have to say i think tj is a better fighter overall. The rounds were close but tj did enough to win 4 rounds convincingly imo and ive watched the fight like 5 times now. Total strikes landed each round was pretty much even but tj was landing the harder shots and kicks, controlled the center, controlled the pace and i honestly thought he got robbed. Even when they were reading out the scores, tj was just smiling and dom had the look of defeat on his face till that messed up last judge scored the fight 4 rounds in favour of dom cruz (srsly wtf) and dom gets the win looking happily surprised.

Cruz is my favorite fighter to watch, but he's not finishing enough fights to be considered GOAT.

For sure, but Faber is obviously way over the hill now. He's 37 and been looking worse and worse since 2014.
Yeah, in 2011, he fought 'prime Faber', and still beat him. Even after years of inactivity and multiple ACL surgeries, he still easily beat Faber. Cruz should have declined, but only got better. Crazy.

Cruz would need to move up and fight whoever is the current FW champ

or defend his belt 9 times without losing a round for years

Since he lost rounds to TJ he has a lot of work to do

He lost three rounds to TJ by my count.

Back