How is Dan Henderson's follow up shots any different to Palhares holding a sub?

Davey Crockett

Mane, Firmino, Salah
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah yeah it's the job of the ref to step in blah blah. I'm not talking about that. Dan has clearly said in the past he knows that someone is KO'd but chooses to deliver more strikes, like on Bisping for example where he needed to "shut his mouth" or something along those lines. I'm talking about the morality behind trying to injure or break the face of someone no longer able to defend themselves.

Palhares got crap for holding subs too long, but going off his in fight antics (thinking he won half way through a fight) it's looking like he's just one of those guys who just loses control during a fight.

Palhares got cut, Hendo has never even had a slap on the wrist.

I like you Davey but there's a distinct difference between someone landing big punches with the adrenaline rushing and someone holding onto submissions (leg locks of all submissions too) while the ref is desperately trying to pry you off.

Hendo is clearly a somewhat vindictive person when it comes to KO'ing people who made him upset but he's still within the rules.

One is legal, one is not.

He's native american. It's his
reparations.

He gets to violate all these foreign
shit bags trying to come onto
American soil & get a W

<44>

That really rubs me the wrong way. I don't like Bisping. He's one of my least favorite fighters, but I don't want to ever see any fighter take extra damage, especially if it's intentional. That's so damn dangerous and reckless. It's bad sportsmanship, too.

do he keep hitting the guy when the referee pull him back?

it's not like the guy can tap u know...

You answered your own question, the fight isn't over until the ref steps in. What if you stopped punching because you thought they were out but then the ref doesn't stop it and you lose? Add-in the split second nature of fighting and the adrenaline pumping. I'm not saying it isn't possible to hold off when someone is clearly out, and it is cool when a fighter does hold back, but it shouldn't be expected or the norm.

Holding the sub after the ref tells you to stop isn't the same at all.

Yeah yeah it's the job of the ref to step in blah blah. I'm not talking about that. Dan has clearly said in the past he knows that someone is KO'd but chooses to deliver more strikes, like on Bisping for example where he needed to "shut his mouth" or something along those lines. I'm talking about the morality behind trying to injure or break the face of someone no longer able to defend themselves.

Palhares got crap for holding subs too long, but going off his in fight antics (thinking he won half way through a fight) it's looking like he's just one of those guys who just loses control during a fight.

actually jumping on someone who is already unconscious and land a monster flying punch/elbow on that guy is MUCH worse then what palhares did.

one is deadly, one is not.

Like most things on Sherdog generally depends on what the fighter's fan base is.

It's very simple. One has given up and wants no more and deserves the respect of not having some piece of crap try to continue anyway to try and snap their shit off.

The other, well it's subjective. We cannot say for certain that Dan knows it's over as the fighter hasn't tapped out which is as clear as it gets.
It's not like his opponents are tapping to strikes and he's still pounding them out. It's different

Not everyone can walk off like Mark Hunt. That's why he is so cool and known for it. They tell you to keep going until the ref stop you. Palhares kept holding and cranking harder AFTER the ref stopped him. The ref didn't stop Hendo. And even after you stop someone it's still save to give them an extra 1 or 2 hits cuz they are in the "middle of a swing" or something. But anymore should be illegal.

In short, one is legal and one is not.

actually jumping on someone who is already unconscious and land a monster flying punch/elbow on that guy is MUCH worse then what palhares did.

one is deadly, one is not.
Unless you are holding a choke.

You're saying that you're talking about the morality and not the rules, yet you complain that Palhares got cut and Dan hasn't been punished...

Palhares got cut BECAUSE OF THE RULES NOT BECAUSE OF "MORALITY."

So...you don't really have much of a point.

Aside from that, it has happened, on tons occasions, that a guy has snapped back into consciousness after seemingly going out. You gotta strike when the iron's hot, and it isn't Dan's job to protect his opponent.

I agree, there isn't much difference (aside from what the rules allow you to do). They are both dick moves imo. But this is MMA, so I don't expect to see high standards of morality (certainly not from every fighter anyway).

They are the same as a sportsmanship act. They are different in the eyes of the judges.

What Dan "thinks" isn't even relevant. One guy is following the rules and the other guy isn't.

Back