Tired of UFC matchmaking? Read this.

Gorilllla

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So obviously there is a lot of frustration regarding UFC matchmaking. Here is the best way to understand it and move on with your lives:

1. MMA is a sport, the UFC is a promotion.
One of the reasons MMA fans become frustrated with the UFC is that sports fans expect sport to be based on a certain meritocracy i.e. if you do well you move up the ladder and compete against better opponents. This is what happens in most sports and we believe this is the right way to go about things. However, the UFC is a promotion, not a sport. When you see a ridiculous matchmaking decision and ask yourself ‘Why the fuck did they do that?’ the answer is virtually always ‘Money’.

The UFC makes decisions based on what will make them the most money. It’s a business after all and businesses are designed to make money.

2. Will this ever change?
Unlikely. However, there is some hope in the form of the Ali Act. If you go here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_Boxing_Reform_Act to read about the Ali Act you will see that many things that arr wrong with the UFC would be changed by this law. Among the main reasons the Act was introduced to boxing was ‘…in response to widespread abuse of boxers by means of exploitation and rigged rankings; because no rating system was provided to rank professional boxers thus ratings are subjected to manipulation by those in charge; and to increase sportsmanship and integrity within the boxing industry’.

In short, if the Ali Act is applied to MMA it will mean that:

• More will be done to protect the rights and welfare of fighters.
• Rankings would be standardized meaning the UFC could not just make whatever title fights they want to.

So in short, if you care about the sport of MMA and are pissed off with the UFC you should support the Ali Act being applied to MMA. Of course, if the act were introduced there would also be less chance fights like McGregor vs Diaz would be made. So if you enjoyed those fights, you should also be willing to put up with bullshit matchmaking like McGregor vs Alvarez.

It’s really all about perspective.

i would rather see Conor defend 145 belt against different contenders, than rematch the same guy 3 times

i would rather see Conor defend 145 belt against different contenders, than rematch the same guy 3 times

Well this is the point, If the Ali Act was introduced to MMA he would have to defend it or lose it. Basically, Aldo would get a rematch or Holloway would get the title shot.

I don't want no Ali act in mma

Those aren't the only two options for Conor though. And if Conor defended his FW belt he'd have the same number of matches against Aldo as he'd have had against Diaz, two a piece.

I don't hate the matchmaking but I still read the OP. It was solid, good work @Gorilllla .

Those aren't the only two options for Conor though. And if Conor defended his FW belt he'd have the same number of matches against Aldo as he'd have had against Diaz, two a piece.

I don't hate the matchmaking but I still read the OP. It was solid, good work @Gorilllla .

Thanks bud.

People are quick to blame the UFC and fighters are quick to complain about the ranking system if it doesn't work out in their favour. Is Dan Henderson making any noise about his title shot? Is Eddie Alvarez standing up for the rankings system and demanding to fight Khabib?

So obviously there is a lot of frustration regarding UFC matchmaking. Here is the best way to understand it and move on with your lives:

One of the reasons MMA fans become frustrated with the UFC is that sports fans expect sport to be based on a certain meritocracy i.e. if you do well you move up the ladder and compete against better opponents. This is what happens in most sports and we believe this is the right way to go about things. However, the UFC is a promotion, not a sport. When you see a ridiculous matchmaking decision and ask yourself ‘Why the fuck did they do that?’ the answer is virtually always ‘Money’.

The UFC makes decisions based on what will make them the most money. It’s a business after all and businesses are designed to make money.

Unlikely. However, there is some hope in the form of the Ali Act. If you go here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_Boxing_Reform_Act to read about the Ali Act you will see that many things that arr wrong with the UFC would be changed by this law. Among the main reasons the Act was introduced to boxing was ‘…in response to widespread abuse of boxers by means of exploitation and rigged rankings; because no rating system was provided to rank professional boxers thus ratings are subjected to manipulation by those in charge; and to increase sportsmanship and integrity within the boxing industry’.

• Rankings would be standardized meaning the UFC could not just make whatever title fights they want to.

So in short, if you care about the sport of MMA and are pissed off with the UFC you should support the Ali Act being applied to MMA. Of course, if the act were introduced there would also be less chance fights like McGregor vs Diaz would be made. So if you enjoyed those fights, you should also be willing to put up with bullshit matchmaking like McGregor vs Alvarez.

Then why even have rankings and champions as these have ZERO bearing on matchmaking. Go back to the early days and eliminate weight divisions while they are at it.
The problem most people have with matchmaking in any promotion is when "rules" are not applied equally, depending on the influence wielded by a particular athlete.

Of course I will support Ali Act.............but the way, does Ali changed all that things by himself??

giphy.gif

Good thread ts, you got me to login to my account to comment. Never herd of the Ali Act. I think another way to avoid these match ups that are questionable is to have a tournament with brackets. Not a tournament in one night but like Bellator.

Top fighters get pick for 8 man tournament that takes place in whatever amount of time is decided. On the side have prize fights and make a name for yourself to even get considered for the tournament. Maybe the champ can take fights in other weight classes while the gap of lets say every 8 months happens to finish the tournament.

What about having tournaments in one night? Have a one night tournament belt holder/fighter along with the stretched out version. 8ball/9ball.

Good thread ts, you got me to login to my account to comment. Never herd of the Ali Act. I think another way to avoid these match ups that are questionable is to have a tournament with brackets. Not a tournament in one night but like Bellator.

Top fighters get pick for 8 man tournament that takes place in whatever amount of time is decided. On the side have prize fights and make a name for yourself to even get considered for the tournament. Maybe the champ can take fights in other weight classes while the gap of lets say every 8 months happens to finish the tournament.

What about having tournaments in one night? Have a one night tournament belt holder/fighter along with the stretched out version. 8ball/9ball.

I think the problem with tournaments is that a lot of fighters would get injured and not be able to continue into the next round. Remember when Steve Jennum won UFC 3 despite only fighting in the final because the rest of the field got injured? Even in a tournament over several months, fighters would still get injured. Tournaments in team sports work because even if players get injured there are others to come in and replace them so the team can still continue.

But anyway, with a proper ranking system the next challenger would be chosen based on his past results i.e. on merit as it should be.

Rankings is just a way to sell fights. When a division doesn't have a superstar like Conor or Ronda, they use rankings to promote the fight. Example: Woodley vs Wonderboy and Joanna vs Karolina.

UFC will make more money fights and nobody can stop them. You can boycott their PPV but it won't even dent their PPV sales.

People only have a problem with UFC match-making when it doesn't favor their favorite figher, or favors one that they hate.

I think the problem with tournaments is that a lot of fighters would get injured and not be able to continue into the next round. Remember when Steve Jennum won UFC 3 despite only fighting in the final because the rest of the field got injured? Even in a tournament over several months, fighters would still get injured. Tournaments in team sports work because even if players get injured there are others to come in and replace them so the team can still continue.

But anyway, with a proper ranking system the next challenger would be chosen based on his past results i.e. on merit as it should be.

Injuries are definitely a problem with this route. There are still lots of fighters that lost earlier in the tournament or fighters that were never picked for the tournament to begin with to replace the injured fighter. We have a problem with certain fighters holding up the division or intercepting other contenders because of injuries. Who wants a champ or fighter that can't get through one tournament to get the shot. Eliminate the injury prone fighters by making them go through the tournament at least once.

A tournament would exactly give the top contender a title shot based on his past and the ranking system.

People only have a problem with UFC match-making when it doesn't favor their favorite figher, or favors one that they hate.
No, they hate it when it doesn't follow the ranking of each division.

People been putting a lot of effort in order to climb that ladder, yet somehow all their effort been wasted just because some guy cut in through trash talk.

No, they hate it when it doesn't follow the ranking of each division.

People been putting a lot of effort in order to climb that ladder, yet somehow all their effort been wasted just because some guy cut in through trash talk.

Rankings can easily be manipulated. They honestly mean very little. Especially considering some of the people triggered by this are the same questioning why Nate Diaz was ranked #4 when they fought, and wondered the same about some of Conors featherweight opponents.

Unfortunately, as a fighter, you have to market yourself. And it doesn't even have to be trash talking. It could just be as simple as Aldo learning to speak english for goodness sake. As for Khabib @ Alvarez, he needs to fight more often.

People are quick to blame the UFC and fighters are quick to complain about the ranking system if it doesn't work out in their favour. Is Dan Henderson making any noise about his title shot? Is Eddie
Alvarez standing up for the rankings system and demanding to fight Khabib?

that's called corruption

Back