UFC clearly catering to Conor in the Alvarez fight.

Handawg

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The stipulation in this fight makes zero sense. Conor will leave this fight with a belt.

Clearly, the UFC is pursuing this idea of Conor being LW champion, all at the expense of the FW division. But if it falls on their face and Eddie wins, he's still a champ. They want him fighting championship bouts in two divisions, but be one champion? Its entirely hypocritical.

It should be, alright Conor, you CLEARLY (by UFC's admission of this one belt scenario) can only be a one division champion, so if you want to fight for the LW belt, you have to vacate your FW title. Therefore the stipulation remains the same. Conor loses, he's not a champ, Eddie loses, he's not a champ. I understand Conor won a title fight at FW, but he doesn't have the intention of going back to that division and defend UNLESS HE LOSES. That, in my opinion is complete and utter bullshit devised by the UFC to fit Conors needs.

To those worrying about money. Consider this:

1. Conor vacates FW belt in order to fight Eddie, wins. Now we have a lw champion who draws and has more available contenders he hasn't fought already.

2. Conor vacates FW belt, loses. Fights either Aldo, Holloway or whatever for the belt. Yes I get that Conor would have to fight as a non champion, but he's going to put the division on hold especially if they give a rematch (big possibility) if he's already FW champion. He'll fight for a belt quicker if he doesn't have one.

Both allow Conor to still draw, while giving more short term gain for the possibility that he could LOSE and not be a champ in any division. So whats the money issue here?

Last edited:
The fight sells more with the Champion vs. Champion appeal, so the UFC will obviously like it. Is normal.

The fight sells more with the Champion vs. Champion appeal, so the UFC will obviously like it. Is normal.

You don't think the idea of a champion vs champion where he could potentially win a second belt or lose them both sells more? Sheesh.

Last edited:
The stipulation in this fight makes zero sense. Conor will leave this fight with a belt.

Clearly, the UFC is pursuing this idea of Conor being LW champion, all at the expense of the FW division. But if it falls on their face and Eddie wins, he's still a champ. They want him fighting championship bouts in two divisions, but be one champion? Its entirely hypocritical.

It should be, alright Conor, you CLEARLY (by UFC's admission of this one belt scenario) can only be a one division champion, so if you want to fight for the LW belt, you have to vacate your FW title. Therefore the stipulation remains the same. Conor loses, he's not a champ, Eddie loses, he's not a champ. I understand Conor won a title fight at FW, but he doesn't have the intention of going back to that division and defend UNLESS HE LOSES. That, in my opinion is complete and utter bullshit devised by the UFC to fit Conors needs.

Can you post the link to the UFC policy on this?

It's tough to say. They clearly capitulate to coner but the guy seems to be a draw for the time being.

Sucks, but part of sports entertainment

When hasn't the ufc catered to Conor?

Dont know how to answer your question but i'm sure that Conor will end Eddie's career so badly.

You don't think the idea of a champion vs champion where he could potentially win two belts or lose them both sells more? Sheesh.

The 145 belt cannot be on the line at a 155 bout. It has nothing to do with Conor.

Eddie wanted this fight just as badly.

They basically had two champs not cooperating and insisting on facing each other.

It's tough to say. They clearly capitulate to coner but the guy seems to be a draw for the time being.

Sucks, but part of sports entertainment

The UFC's business practicing with Conor has been weird. They risked huge long term gain by matching him up with Nate again.

You don't think the idea of a champion vs champion where he could potentially win two belts or lose them both sells more? Sheesh.
How is him losing going to cost him the FW belt? Will they give it to Eddie? Holy crap guys Eddie Alvarez two weight champ and new GOAT!

The 145 belt cannot be on the line at a 155 bout. It has nothing to do with Conor.

I think we're getting a little off track on what I was saying.

My point is that they made this fight out of a pure win/win for Conor putting the FW division on hold as a result, if I were anyone in the FW division i'd be pretty furious that the division will be restarted in terms of title shots once they're ready.

How is him losing going to cost him the FW belt? Will they give it to Eddie? Holy crap guys Eddie Alvarez two weight champ and new GOAT!

This isn't even my original point. But no, I meant Conor vacating the FW belt in order to fight Eddie for the LW belt. Misspoke.

So you wnat him to lose the 145 lbs title in a 155 lbs fight?

Makes perfect sense.

I think we're getting a little off track on what I was saying.

My point is that they made this fight out of a pure win/win for Conor putting the FW division on hold as a result, if I were anyone in the FW division i'd be pretty furious that the division will be restarted in terms of title shots once they're ready.

To be honest, I thought of it right after I replied but I didn't want to be a pussy and delete it. You're right, I think I've misunderstood you and my response was actually an answer to something that wasn't even your point to begin with.

My bad, mate.

The UFC will do what brings in money, so they obviously are making money off of Conor. He doesn't get paid more just because he nags them.

The UFC is about money, not integrity. It is entertainment. Conor is currently their best dancing monkey. They dress him up in a suit and play music while he collects the money in a tin cup for his owners.

Back