If you don't have to defend the belts, then a lot of guys were "2-division champs"...

EGarrett

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
BJ Penn and Randy Couture both won belts in one weight class then another. And actually, both of them decided to ignore the UFC's booking requests too. The UFC stripped them both. They then later won belts in another weight class.

If the UFC just let them do what they wanted and never defend their belts, they each would already have been "2-division champs." Yes, they lost fights in between, but so has Conor. Big deal. WAR BJ and Randy.

&NCS_modified=20131009110349&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-303169993.jpg

It's not that srs bra.

History has taught us that not striking while the iron is hot can jeopardize epic fights.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

P.S. - BJ and Randy are some of the most beloved fighters for a reason.

maybe they should have read The Art of Deal like Conor did and struck a better one with Dana.

Randy and Penn both lost their titles before winning the other.

There should be more champ vs champ fights nowadays. I'd gladly put off DC vs Rumble 2 and DC vs Jones 2 if we could get DC vs Stipe instead. I feel like champ vs champ fights have, and always will be, the biggest fights to make in combat sports, and should take absolute priority over anything else.

There should be more champ vs champ fights nowadays. I'd gladly put off DC vs Rumble 2 and DC vs Jones 2 if we could get DC vs Stipe instead. I feel like champ vs champ fights have, and always will be, the biggest fights to make in combat sports, and should take absolute priority over anything else.

Thats the problem. The ufc isn't marketing a real sport like it's blind fans claim. They are marketing unbeatable champs and having them to lose each other, kills their marketing. The ufc is a joke and is every bit as much entertainment over sport as Bellator or any of the others.

Edgar v Dom would get me excited.

Randy was never the HW champion of the world, so I'd strike him off. You're left with BJ Penn and maybe Anderson Silva (depending on whether or not you'd consider him the WW champion of the world after beating Sakurai, many don't). So no, there haven't been a lot of guys to achieve the distinction of being the legitimate champion in two different weight divisions.

What BJ and Randy did were outstanding accomplishments. If Conor pulls it off, his will be as well.

BJ Penn and Randy Couture both won belts in one weight class then another. And actually, both of them decided to ignore the UFC's booking requests too. The UFC stripped them both. They then later won belts in another weight class.

If the UFC just let them do what they wanted and never defend their belts, they each would already have been "2-division champs." Yes, they lost fights in between, but so has Conor. Big deal. WAR BJ and Randy.

&NCS_modified=20131009110349&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-303169993.jpg
This guy gets it! What Conor is doing is nothing special as far as fighting credentials. Hell Aldo could have been a two division champ after defending 5 times if they gave him the shot.

What makes it even funnier is Conor is also fighting a guy who hasn't even defended his title. Even if he wins he beat a guy who landed a lucky shot against the real champ.

Lastly Conor could have defended against Frankie, Aldo and be fighting Holloway on this card to make a claim as FW GOAT. He's taken the much easier route and could potentially go 1-2 in the meantime really hurting his legacy

Yea but MMA is alot more competitive now

This guy gets it! What Conor is doing is nothing special as far as fighting credentials. Hell Aldo could have been a two division champ after defending 5 times if they gave him the shot.

What makes it even funnier is Conor is also fighting a guy who hasn't even defended his title. Even if he wins he beat a guy who landed a lucky shot against the real champ.

Lastly Conor could have defended against Frankie, Aldo and be fighting Holloway on this card to make a claim as FW GOAT. He's taken the much easier route and could potentially go 1-2 in the meantime really hurting his legacy
Aldo would not have been the LW Champ is given that opportunity. Pettis, Henderson, Penn, etc...would of crushed him.

Randy and Penn both lost their titles before winning the other.
Exactly. That's what TS isn't getting. It's not a matter of being the first 2 division champ, it's being the first simultaneous 2 division champ.

Disclaimer - I think it's BS that he is getting a shot at Alvarez without having defended his FW title.

People talked up a superfight with Aldo and the LW champs for years. If he had wanted it, he could have gotten it (admittedly, the UFC probably would have made him give up the FW title, but still, he could have had it). Like most champs he preferred staying in his division. That's fine. I'm also fine with Conor wanting to make history by moving up.

Aldo would not have been the LW Champ is given that opportunity. Pettis, Henderson, Penn, etc...would of crushed him.
Well, I don't agree with that, but regardless, Edgar was champ for a while and he's beaten him twice. So he certainly could have done it.

Even if he wins he beat a guy who landed a lucky shot against the real champ.

Now I know you didn't watch Alvarez/Dos Anjos if you think Eddie landed "a" lucky shot. He landed about 100 "lucky shots"

LOL I could also say alvarez will crush conor. You don't know what would have happened if he was given the opportunity

People talked up a superfight with Aldo and the LW champs for years. If he had wanted it, he could have gotten it (admittedly, the UFC probably would have made him give up the FW title, but still, he could have had it). Like most champs he preferred staying in his division. That's fine. I'm also fine with Conor wanting to make history by moving up.

That's bullshit and you know it. UFC did everything they could to stop him from getting the Pettis fight because Anthony was the more marketable champion.

Back