Is pressuring/being the aggressor against Mcgregor bad?

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Seems like Eddie's plan is to be aggressive and put the heat on him, but every single time Conor's been pressured...he put the other guy down

- Aldo
- Brandao
- Brimage
- Random guy he KO'ed in 4 seconds.

Of course none of those guys I mentioned are as good as Alvarez (except Aldo)...but it still holds true that Conor does well in front of the headlights. I feel like the best way to go about it, is the Mendes plan...no real pressuring, let him come to you and then dump him on his back.

Even the guys that he beat like Holloway, Mendes, Poirier, and Siver....were surviving a bit longer by waiting back. Poirier and Siver even dropped McGregor a few times with the leg kicks. Holloway landed a few clean shots even while being so young...and Mendes was one of the first guys that put McGregor on the burner.

thoughts?

He'll engage Mickey Gall mode and look for an immediate ground assault. Unlike Nate, Eddie doesn't strike me as the type to feel he owes the public an entertaining fight. A 'smart' move but one that won't win the hearts and minds of the masses. If he wins by lay n pray he emerges less popular in victory than Nate did in defeat.

Worked out great for Aldo.

Seems like Eddie's plan is to be aggressive and put the heat on him, but every single time Conor's been pressured...he put the other guy down

- Aldo
- Brandao
- Brimage
- Random guy he KO'ed in 4 seconds.

Of course none of those guys I mentioned are as good as Alvarez (except Aldo)...but it still holds true that Conor does well in front of the headlights. I feel like the best way to go about it, is the Mendes plan...no real pressuring, let him come to you and then dump him on his back.

Even the guys that he beat like Holloway, Mendes, Poirier, and Siver....were surviving a bit longer by waiting back. Poirier and Siver even dropped McGregor a few times with the leg kicks. Holloway landed a few clean shots even while being so young...and Mendes was one of the first guys that put McGregor on the burner.

thoughts?

You need to have Nate chin and cardio to pressure Conor. If you don't you're going to get finished. The counter punch is too good.

I think people have bought into Conor being a counter striker. Yeah he countered and KO'd Aldo, and he has the ability to do so, but he is also very good at leading as well. He's a striker period, not just a counter striker.

Eddie has to make it an MMA fight to win. He's facing a superior striker with power who has a 6" reach advantage he must navigate. Eddie's path to victory isn't just wrestling. It's clinching, dirty boxing, grappling and GnP, cage craft etc.

Conor is the guy who uses unrelenting pressure. Eddie just has to sit back, shoot a double, and let 15 years+ of ground work experience take over.

Eddie takes him down and pounds him out. Rd. 2 stoppage.

I think eddie plays it smart and goes for takedowns, but if he can't get them, he'll walk himself back into the clinch and take him down from there.
He'll avoid striking at a distance with Conor.

He'll engage Mickey Gall mode and look for an immediate ground assault. Unlike Nate, Eddie doesn't strike me as the type to feel he owes the public an entertaining fight. A 'smart' move but one that won't win the hearts and minds of the masses. If he wins by lay n pray he emerges less popular in victory than Nate did in defeat.

He is going to put Conor away.

Back