Which champs can move up and instantly challenge for a title?

Fire Belly

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Was just thinking to myself if this is just a Conor thing or not. I don't think it is.

I'm pretty sure MM could walk into a title fight with Cruz and no one would argue it, of course he's cleared out his division so it's not an apples/apples comparision.

I vaguely remember Pettis calling out Aldo right after winning the UFC LW belt, though not sure why that never came to be.

Which other champs could do likewise?

The way these boards look lately Conor could take out Stipe.

IMO champs should stay in their weight class an defend the belt! No jumping around bull shit.

Every champ except Miocic

I think any champ with a few dominant defenses could do it. I think doing it with zero defenses is a McGregor thing.

My first impetus was to say "every champion"

But I would not want to see Alvarez x Woodley or Woodley x Bisping.

So, I guess, after 2 or 3 defenses, it's okay

(edit)

I think any champ with a few dominant defenses could do it. I think doing it with zero defenses is a McGregor thing.

This ^

The way these boards look lately Conor could take out Stipe.

IMO champs should stay in their weight class an defend the belt! No jumping around bull shit.

What a terrible ill informed post that completely ignores the whole history of combat sports

What a terrible ill informed post that completely ignores the whole history of combat sports

How does it?

I prefer champs to stay in their own weight class, mma isn't boxing with 50 thousands different belts and weight classes. If your the LW champ stay in the LW division if you want to move up vacate and go for it.

How about, which champions can move up, LOSE to a lower ranked guy, then avenge that loss, THEN get an instant crack at the belt, in that same division?

I enjoy the idea of a dominant champ like Anderson or GSP was moving to challenge for other titles.

I understand McG getting an instant title shot because he is a huge draw and business > all. BUT I would prefer to see a dominant champ vs. a dominant champ.

Mm, Cruz, Mcgregor, DC or Jones, probably even Joanna I'd say.

If they could keep their belt safe i bet every champion would give it a go.

Must be a noob, plenty of fighters would have but they were required to give up thier titles. Aldo would have been done it. Conor has Dana by the balls

It is anticlimatic for the first champ vs champ in ages being between 2 champs without a defence between them.

And wins streaks of 3 and 1 fights.

Its shitty timing but if others can get the same "belt safe" advantage in future it will be good for the sport.

Mm vs Cruz, Cruz vs Conor, Conor vs Alvarez. Then the weight differential is too large. Maybe, Cormier could challenge for Hw strap, although he was always a small Hw carrying a lot of unnecessary fat and so his conditioning would be worse.

It is anticlimatic for the first champ vs champ in ages being between 2 champs without a defence between them.

And wins streaks of 3 and 1 fights.

Its shitty timing but if others can get the same "belt safe" advantage in future it will be good for the sport.

"You're not a champion until you defend your title". In lieu of recent wave of upsets and new-born "champions" with zero defences these words can't be more true.

Back