What to do with Francisco Trinaldo?

Islam Imamate

Master of sports in Moderation.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The guy is 38 and hasn't really beaten anyone in the top 15 yet. Nonetheless he has a 7 fight win streak and is 11-3 overall in the UFC with wins over Pearson and Felder which are decent. At this point I think he deserves a step up. Evan Dunham or Beneil Dariush might be good match ups for him to get a chance at the ranked guys.

A fight with Michael Johnson could work too. Johnson most likely wins that and gets a win under his belt over a guy with a solid win streak which would give him some more momentum to ask for a top guy. If Trinaldo pulls off that upset he would have a good argument for at least a title eliminator fight.

Either way I'm a fan of Trinaldo and I like this win streak he's quietly built(mostly fighting in Brazil). I don't think he'll ever win the title and I'm even skeptical he can beat a guy in the top 10 but I'll be rooting for him if he does get a step up and I like the fact that he's such an old guy for the division yet has been able to build up so long a streak in such a competitive division.

War Massaranduba
Francisco+Drinaldo+Knees+and+Beats+Up+Charles+Maicon+-+TUF+Brasil.gif

mma.gif

Jesse_Ronson_vs._Francisco_Trinaldo_EXCHANE.gif

CoarseEmbellishedKitten.gif

GloriousSpicyFlatcoatretriever.gif

Give him Poirier or Dariush

Johnson.

MJ needs to get a streak going, he's not going to get a title shot for a good while anyway with the backlog, and it gives Trinaldo a shot against a top guy.

Give him Poirier or Dariush
Poirier is coming off a loss though, shouldn't Massaranduba get someone coming off a win at this point given his momentum? Still ranked so it wouldn't be a bad opportunity for Trinaldo though.
Johnson.

MJ needs to get a streak going, he's not going to get a title shot for a good while anyway with the backlog, and it gives Trinaldo a shot against a top guy.
That's how I see it as well. I would root for Trinaldo in that one but MJ has some nasty speed and power in his hands.

Feed him to Taisumov on a European or Brazilian card.

Don't you guys think he deserves a step up after a 7 fight win streak?
Yeah, I think you're actually right. Stylistically I'd love the fight but he's ahead of Duffy right now. I think MJ is the fight to make.

The guy is 38 and hasn't really beaten anyone in the top 15 yet. Nonetheless he has a 7 fight win streak and is 11-3 overall in the UFC with wins over Pearson and Felder which are decent. At this point I think he deserves a step up. Evan Dunham or Beneil Dariush might be good match ups for him to get a chance at the ranked guys.

A fight with Michael Johnson could work too. Johnson most likely wins that and gets a win under his belt over a guy with a solid win streak which would give him some more momentum to ask for a top guy. If Trinaldo pulls off that upset he would have a good argument for at least a title eliminator fight.

Either way I'm a fan of Trinaldo and I like this win streak he's quietly built(mostly fighting in Brazil). I don't think he'll ever win the title and I'm even skeptical he can beat a guy in the top 10 but I'll be rooting for him if he does get a step up and I like the fact that he's such an old guy for the division yet has been able to build up so long a streak in such a competitive division.

War Massaranduba

mma.gif

Who is this bum? I only know Conor mcgregor

timeline-of-human-evolution-artwork-illustration-id558058373

He got as far as number 3. That's the equivalent of where he's ranked after last nights "win".

How about the winner of Dariush/Magomedov? But that fight's not for a while still. I wanna say MJ because that would mean a good spot on a card for him against a top 10 guy. If he won his stock would go way up but I don't think he would, I think I'd rather see him fight Dunham. Much more winnable fight against a guy with a name value, and isn't he on a 4 or 5 fight streak himself? Make it happen Dana, co-main on the next Cyborg squash card.

timeline-of-human-evolution-artwork-illustration-id558058373

He got as far as number 3. That's the equivalent of where he's ranked after last nights "win".
Sucks to see a guy lose a fight via a cut like Felder did but I thought Massaranduba was on his way to a decision win either way.
How about the winner of Dariush/Magomedov? But that fight's not for a while still. I wanna say MJ because that would mean a good spot on a card for him against a top 10 guy. If he won his stock would go way up but I don't think he would, I think I'd rather see him fight Dunham. Much more winnable fight against a guy with a name value, and isn't he on a 4 or 5 fight streak himself? Make it happen Dana, co-main on the next Cyborg squash card.
I like the Dunham fight. More winnable for him despite having less upside. Dunham is good but I think Massaranduba is strong and fast enough to give Dunham, who isn't so athletic compared to some of his LW peers, some fits. I think the odds on that fight would be fairly close.

War Massaranduba

mma.gif

Have him go the Neil Magney route. I think someone like Al Iacinta or Jim Miller would be a good test. After that, he can test the top 10 and go from there

Trinaldo is obviously the new GOAT but he looks like an old man in the face so bad. I say they help him address that issue first before giving him a top 10 opponent

He probably gets a top 15 guy, but not top 10. Such is life fighting in the deepest division.

Back