Was Roy Nelson vs. Bigfoot Silva a Late Stoppage?

Was Roy Nelson vs. Bigfoot Silva a Late Stoppage?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Roy Nelson apologizes for post-fight altercation with John McCarthy, but says ‘I wouldn't take it back'

Roy Nelson got back on the winning track at UFC Fight Night 95 when he scored a second-round knockout over friend and fellow heavyweight veteran Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva. But Nelson's post-fight theatrics drew just as much attention as his performance, as a visibly angry Nelson flipped off referee John McCarthy and lightly kicked McCarthy in the back over what Nelson believed to be a late stoppage.

"It was a push," Nelson said of the kick at the UFC Fight Night 95 post-fight press conference. "It was more of like, dude, come on.

"Then we had a conversation in the cage. I was like, 'Dude, he was knocked out.' And [McCarthy] was like, ‘No, he wasn't.' And I'm like, dude, I know what a knockout is. I knock people out. That's what I do for a living. I know what a knockout is. Just because the guy didn't roll his eyes into the back of his head, or shake, or whatever ... it was just one of those things."

. . .

The entire sequence began early in the second round when Nelson floored Silva with a heavy right uppercut. Nelson then swarmed Silva and rained down five hard punches while yelling at McCarthy to stop the fight.

"I didn't want to hurt ‘Bigfoot' more than I had to," Nelson said. "And I got taken by the moment, because it's like I'm beating the sh*t out of somebody and you're like, dude, enough is enough. And for me, it hurt my feelings. And I apologize to Big John, but I wouldn't take it back. It just hurt me, that I've got to keep on hitting a guy that doesn't need to be hit."

. . .

"I knew I already knocked him out with my first punch, and then I got him one more time," Nelson said. "In my head, it was like slow-mo, like I'm having a conversation with John going, ‘hey man, how is the weather over there?' That's what it felt like. I'm friends with ‘Bigfoot,' and he has a family. I don't need to keep on punching him in his face. And it's not one of those (things) like, if I hit him so hard that he fell flat on his face, I would've just walked off like Mark Hunt. But he fell on his back.

"It wasn't like [McCarthy] was so far away. He was over here to my side, and I know I had a conversation (with him). I'm like, he's out. He's like, ‘no he's not, keep on moving.' So for me, I feel like I'm giving ‘Bigfoot' extra damage, where he doesn't actually need to get hit that much."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/2...for-post-fight-altercation-with-john-mccarthy

It was like a second late

Roy nelson got mad over nothing pretty much

Roy Nelson needs to GTFO of MMA.

Sorry but, yes Big Foot was hurt but he could still take some, he would've probably been KOd anyways but who knows, I understand they are buddies, but this is a fight.

Even bigfoot looked at big john Mccarthy, wondering why he stopped it to quicky.

Tired of fighters thinking that just because some body is rocked, they deserve to stop a fight.

I guess Pat Barry should've pulled a Roy Nelson here

As soon as he feel and went limb, he should've looked at the ref to stop the fight an act concerned for kongo.

I thought it was late but it wasn't overly horrible

Whenever Bigfoot fights the refs should take into account the fact that he's lost like 10 fights by KO with 1 win against Soa Palelei sprinkled in the middle and probably stop it soon after he gets cracked

I have no idea why that fight was sanctioned

I just voted for Herb Dean via proxy as a Very very very very late stoppage.

I don't think it was late, but given Bigfoot's recent history it might have been merciful to give him a quick stoppage. Still I don't really see a problem.

Roy Nelson was an embarrassment with his behaviour.

When Hunt knocked him clean dead, he got up whinging and shaking his head and complaining.

Leave the the job of the referee to the referee. If you were so goddamn certain that Bigfoot was out to the point where you had to go around assaulting people, then get up and walk away and stop hitting him, just like Hunt did to you when he knocked you clean out.

The guy is clearly unstable and needs to be reprimanded. It's a sport and you can't go around assaulting people.

People comparing it to the Werdum thing are also morons. Werdum defended himself from a coach who was threatening him with violence. Nelson walked off and came back a few minutes later and assaulted and hindered an official who was administering care to Nelson's supposed friend about whom he was so torn up.

Complete display of malice and stupidity.

It was slightly late, but it definitely wasn't Curran vs Warren or anything.

IMO it comes down to two things

1 in no sport can you touch a ref and not expect repercussions of some sort...

2 even if it was a late stoppage((imo it wasnt)) no one is forcing Roy to hit him...Roy could have stopped anytime he wanted if he thought he shouldnt hit bigfoot anymore...

Roy had no business being mad, being an ass to Big Jon, or even "kicking" him whether or not he really hit him, I think he should be fined and privately told whats what about officials then made to say something on social media since he was so quick to jump out there and say he wouldnt change what hes done

I definately dont think he should be kicked out of the UFC like Ive seen some people suggest .... lol?

Late to quite late, I went with quite late.

Following the knockdown McCarthy should have stepped in after the first or second punch, given that Bigfoot has been KO'd a lot and was flat on his back offering no defense.

Bigfoot wasn't knocked out, but he was certainly getting hit pretty hard. Roy likely just felt bad for beating his "friend" Silva, and let his emotions run wild on Big John. Sounds pretty silly overall...

In my opinion it was an early stoppage, so no vote here. Bigfoot still had a chance to recover if big John only gave him a second or so longer in the fight. He was clearly doing a rope a dope move and was about to spin for a leg lock once Nelson punched himself out. Hell of a game plan if you ask me I think the commision needs to overturn that outcome and give BF the win.

It was a good stoppage.

the 3 people saying very late must be new to watching MMA

Nelson should be fined. No way a fighter should ever touch a ref. All Nelson had to do was stop punching him if he felt Bigfoot was knocked out. What did he think Mcarthy was going to do, give Bigfoot mouth to mouth recesitation to revive him!

A knockdown isn't a knockout, especially at heavyweight. Keep fighting until the ref stops you, or walk away if you're so sure you've won.

He was done when he hit the floor.

It was late as fuck.

Back