Your Opinion on Throwing Elbows just to Cut People?

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
I know some guys have been stopped by elbows. Chris Weidman's elbow against Mark Munoz comes to mind. That was beautiful.

That being said, not all elbows are thrown with the intention to do damage like that. Of course, Trinaldo and Felder last night made me think about this but it's been on my mind for maybe the last year. When I watched Barboza fight Tony Ferguson, and after the fight Ferguson bragged about his elbows saying something to the effect of:

"Its a different story once I land my elbows and you have to fight El Cucuy with blood in your eyes. That's when we see what's what."

I thought, shit. Its not dirty, because its not illegal. But its kinda weird. I kinda don't like it. Its one of those rules I wouldn't mind see altered a bit. Trying to get fights stopped due to a cut is kinda low in my opinion. I know a lot of the crowd will say "a win is a win". I get that, and I know its legal. It just leaves a weird taste in my mouth, personally.

Do you guys feel similarly?

I personally think is all good. Cuts heal. But the blood can change the fight in the way it impeads vision. I see it as tactical.

Legit tactic but also why Pride banned them.

I know some guys have been stopped by elbows. Chris Weidman's elbow against Mark Munoz comes to mind. That was beautiful.

That being said, not all elbows are thrown with the intention to do damage like that. Of course, Trinaldo and Felder last night made me think about this but it's been on my mind for maybe the last year. When I watched Barboza fight Tony Ferguson, and after the fight Ferguson bragged about his elbows saying something to the effect of:

"Its a different story once I land my elbows and you have to fight El Cucuy with blood in your eyes. That's when we see what's what."

I thought, shit. Its not dirty, because its not illegal. But its kinda weird. I kinda don't like it. Its one of those rules I wouldn't mind see altered a bit. Trying to get fights stopped due to a cut is kinda low in my opinion. I know a lot of the crowd will say "a win is a win". I get that, and I know its legal. It just leaves a weird taste in my mouth, personally.

Do you guys feel similarly?

His quote doesn't say what you think it says.

He's not saying "I'm after a cut stoppage".
He's saying "Fighting me once I've done enough damage to impair your vision is much more difficult."

And, no, it's not the same as finger poking or eye gouging, either. Forceful pokes are very dangerous and can do serious lasting damage. A bit of blood dripping into your eye for 10 min or so is not.

His quote doesn't say what you think it says.

He's not saying "I'm after a cut stoppage".
He's saying "Fighting me once I've done enough damage to impair your vision is much more difficult."

And, no, it's not the same as finger poking or eye gouging, either. Forceful pokes are very dangerous and can do serious lasting damage. A bit of blood dripping into your eye for 10 min or so is not.

I never said it was. I'm not basing it on long term damage at all. You're definitely right about that. I'm just saying its a tactic that is perfectly legal, but you do have guys there trying to get a cut stoppage I guarantee it.

You're also giving Tony a lot of credit considering he epically he fouled him in that fight too.

I'm typically very pro-elbow, but I bet on the Trinaldo/Felder fight to go over 2.5 rounds. The fight was stopped 5 seconds short of that mark. Elbows have to go!!!

please point to a single example of an elbow thrown with the sole purpose of opening a cut.

please point to a single example of an elbow thrown with the sole purpose of opening a cut.
Its a strategy that's impossible to prove but I'm sure it happens.

Its like saying:

"Point to an example of an intentional eye poke."

That shit is subjective as fuck. Only the fighter knows the intention behind what he does. But we know it happens.

Edit: Condit said against Maia, should he be trapped on bottom, cutting him with elbows was the gameplan.

Eez fight, eez normal, train for fight, train for blood, eez normal, thas eet. <6>

It's a legit way of winning /thread
Did you read the OP? I know its legal and legit as of now. I'm speaking about whether it should be or if its just another rule to exploit.

I personally think is all good. Cuts heal. But the blood can change the fight in the way it impeads vision. I see it as tactical.
Cuts heal *to a point....

Moving forward, they are more
susceptible to reopening.

OT: we have enough rules as it is.

Did you read the OP? I know its legal and legit as of now. I'm speaking about whether it should be or if its just another rule to exploit.
How's it a rule to exploit? It's a rule and an obvious one. Dude can't see he can't fight. Did you learn nothing from karate kid?

this is just my opinion but i always thought elbows on the ground should be banned. MMA is way too bloody that way but it seems everybody got desensitized to that stuff. every other fight a guy is bloodied up by GNP elbow its barbaric and one of the reasons MMA is not taken seriously as a sport in other countries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back