Kenny Florian said Cyborg can make 135

MMAfangirl

@MMAfangirl
@White
Reaction score
In the Postfight show on FS1, Kenny Florian said;

"Of course, everyone was talking about the weight cut. How would that affect her on Fight Night? It didn't affect her at all! From what I saw, she went out there and was very dominant...

I think money talks, so if someone starts saying, 'Listen there's PPV money behind that, would you make 135 based on that?' I think she would. I think she can. I mean, in some cases you hear fighters say, 'Oh, I can't make that weight' as kind of a negotiating tactic. I dunno, she's certainly very big. It's not easy for her to make 139 or 140, whatever it is, but money talks. You start talking about millions of dollars and all a sudden those pounds start to shed a lot easier."

Yves Edwards replied, "Money does talk, but there is a limit to what the human body can do. Cris Cyborg is a large woman. When we stand next to her, she's as big as some of us and we fought at 155 lbs, 145 lbs."

She can make 135 they just dont want her to shed the muscle and be on an equal footing.

If Kenny Florian said it, then it must come from a credible source.

If Kenny Florian said it, then it must come from a credible source.

200w.gif

Oh Kenny. Please stop. What was your hardest weight cut? Oh that's right you fought in the wrong weight class for half your career.

She'd be the first person in the history of mankind not able to lose muscle, the rest of us lose it quite easily, if we don't continuously train. I'll be the first to admit I'm no Mike Dolce, but something tells me Cyborg could make 135 if she spent six months running, sparring and grappling, while decreasing her weight-training regimen.

Last edited:
I think her weight cut to 141 is dangerous enough to kill her. Asking her to cut to 135 is reckless.

She said on the MMA hour six days before her fight, that she was eating apples and seeds. There's video of her crying on the floor in pain for a cut to 145. Women don't lose weight in a predictable, linear fashion like male athletes do. Fluctuating hormones make the weight cut slower and unpredictable.

Yves Edwards pointed out that Kenny cut to 145 and was miserable and that Cyborg is his size. Apparently Florian thinks Cyborg can just cut 9 lbs more than he had to.

I say make a fight at 145 for the Featherweight Women's belt between Cyborg and someone else and let the winner defend it a couple times a year. There would be enough women willing to step up.

Of course she can make it, she just has to give up muscle mass. The question is can she do it and still be in 'fight-shape'?

She can make 135 they just dont want her to shed the muscle and be on an equal footing.
Rousey, McMann and Nunes are all thicker than even 140lb Cyborg. She is taller than most of the div. Goebbels would be proud of you.

Well if Kenny said it...

Somebody else probably said it before him.

Of course she can make it, she just has to give up muscle mass. The question is can she do it and still be in 'fight-shape'?
Exactly.
She can also make 115, after a few years of not eating properly or training anything but running.

she made 139 at UFC 198, she can cut extra 4 pounds, imo

This. She'd be skinny as a twig and lose a lot of power but saying it's impossible is a joke. There are models much taller than her weighing less, and they don't even cut weight.

Exactly.
She can also make 115, after a few years of not eating properly or training anything but running.

She can make 135 lbs if she reduces her walk around weight by losing some of the muscle. I don't think her refusal to do it is about money. Back in 2013 when she weighed 160 lbs and not her current 175 lbs it might have been about the money. Her manager at the time said it was never about the weight. It was about money. Even though she was not the draw, she wanted Ronda money. When the UFC didn't offer that she asked out of her contract. Nowadays though, I think Cyborg is just scared to death of losing and no amount of money is worth her fighting on a level playing field.

This. She'd be skinny as a twig and lose a lot of power but saying it's impossible is a joke. There are models much taller than her weighing less, and they don't even cut weight.
Expecting an athlete to do it is also a joke.

I think her weight cut to 141 is dangerous enough to kill her. Asking her to cut to 135 is reckless.

I say make a fight at 145 for the Featherweight Women's belt between Cyborg and someone else and let the winner defend it a couple times a year. There would be enough women willing to step up.

The women do not want to "step-up" to fight a geared-up monster that out weighs them by 20 lbs of muscle on the night of the fight. Look what happened last night. Against girls here own size and relative strength, Lina had been doing pretty good. Last night, she was nothing more than a punching bag.

She can make 135 lbs if she reduces her walk around weight by losing some of the muscle. I don't think her refusal to do it is about money. Back in 2013 when she weighed 160 lbs and not her current 175 lbs it might have been about the money. Her manager at the time said it was never about the weight. It was about money. Even though she was not the draw, she wanted Ronda money. When the UFC didn't offer that she asked out of her contract. Nowadays though, I think Cyborg is just scared to death of losing and no amount of money is worth her fighting on a level playing field.
She seems an incredibly fearful person. I agree. All the yapping and bold proclamations, the trash talk and disrespect pre and post fight to her opponents, her fight with Baars... Pretty much everything points to 'coward'.

The women do not want to "step-up" to fight a geared-up monster that out weighs them by 20 lbs of muscle on the night of the fight. Look what happened last night. Against girls here own size and relative strength, Lina had been doing pretty good. Last night, she was nothing more than a punching bag.
Landsberg fights at 145 usually

Back