Its a matter of time when somebody does get killed in the UFC

VIPERdude

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
When I say a matter of time, I mean it can happen the next UFC or UFC 300+. After all Cyborgs knee to the face in Bellator definitely could have killed him. What I would like to know is respectfully an honest opinion...

IF and when an accident does occur where a fighter doesnt get back up on a big stage like UFC, what kind of effect do you think it will have on the sport? Sponsorships? Other fighters mental states? Can one death be the end?

I think it will happen later on in the evening when the fighter just collapses.

This has happened in soccer when someone has gone for a header.

Could very well be that with the smaller gloves they usually get put out. In boxing theres a standing count even for fighters who are obviously on struggle street whereas in mma they usually get finished. Surprised there hasnt been a death though.

Even when you watch kickboxing/muay thai there are some brutal KOs yet no deaths and one could say that a shin to head is far more dangerous than a punch.

People have died in boxing and the NFL. A pro wrestler died on a live PPV. It won't be the end.

Also, cyborg's sinus cavity was what got fucked. It looked a dozen times worse than it was.

Happens a lot in sports. I feel mma is far enough along now to move past it

i could see it happening to a guy like renan barao where hes a smaller guy, cuts a tremendous amount of weight and then gets a beatdown ala dillashaw

also anybody hendo fights lol

It will happen at some point. It will be tragic. It's a known risk of any combat sport.

People have died in boxing and the NFL. A pro wrestler died on a live PPV. It won't be the end.

Also, cyborg's sinus cavity was what got fucked. It looked a dozen times worse than it was.
True but the NFL and Boxing will always be considered an American past time like sport....UFC has and will always be considered a cockfighting in a cage with humans to politicians and those who are uneducated in the sport....I just know a death to a sport that is already considered "barbaric" is frowned upon by the powers that be. It took forever to be legalized in NY. MMA wont be looked at the same as boxing or football or soccer. Just wont.

The way the western world is becoming pussified a high profile death could definitely hurt the momentum the UFC has going right now
Dont know if it would kill it completely but there would be a lotta backlash in the mainstream media which could scare off its sponsors and broadcast partners

i could see it happening to a guy like renan barao where hes a smaller guy, cuts a tremendous amount of weight and then gets a beatdown ala dillashaw

also anybody hendo fights lol
I can see it happening to a girl. A girl like PVZ getting her neck cranked by Claudia Gadelha a break wouldnt be hard

There's been a few where I thought death was involved lol

I mean look...They let a guy like CM PUNK who didnt know how to throw a proper straihght left in his debut....I doubt he will be the last fighter with no experience they throw in there because of his name. IM HOPING the UFC learned from that fight. Money is great but still have to keep the sport safe. I feel it was a little reckless

It happens in American football every year and some of the fatalities are kids. You rarely hear much about it.

"High school and college football have approximately 12 fatalities annually"

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/41/5/1108.abstract

When it happens in the UFC the sport will be called barbaric and that it has no place in a civilized society.

this isn't something to procrastinate over.

if it does ever happen, the circumstances would matter a whole lot. There's nothing to talk about here.

the only thing we know is that the athletic commission is responsible for a fighter's safety.

Fans could die and if im not mistaken have died at baseball games and at NASCAR races, a death is bound to happen but it wont be the end

Like others said it wouldnt be the first time an athlete dies. WWE, NFL, NCAA basketball, Boxing and others have overcome it

Over 200+ UFCS and no life threaten injuries. I would say that's pretty good.

Nascar has dozens of fatalities and they are still moving along.

Hopefully the general population would be educated enough when that happens to not get a kneejerk reaction.

Probably not though.

Back