Liddell or Penn: Who was the most dominant champ? And the most accomplished fighter?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
liddell.jpg bj-penn-chokes-hughes-300x194.jpg

So,
Liddell or Penn: Who was the most dominant champ? And the most accomplished fighter?
What´s your opinion, sherdog?

This kid
200w.gif

Penn. Liddell was never even the best in his weightclass. And his level of competition in the UFC is questionable.

I see, but what makes you say his level of competition was no good?
I don't mean to say it's not good, maybe I should've said favorable stylistically for him. Whether it was by design, or that's just what was available. Correct me if I'm wrong, but i think his title victories in the UFC were against Tito, Couture, Horn and Sobral, right? All of those guys are basically perfect style matchups for a knockout artist with great TDD..

Penn was the most accomplished, Liddell the most dominant.

It depends on what you value. Liddell might have been the more dominant champ but I would say Penn is more accomplished overall.

I don't mean to say it's not good, maybe I should've said favorable stylistically for him. Whether it was by design, or that's just what was available. Correct me if I'm wrong, but i think his title victories in the UFC were against Tito, Couture, Horn and Sobral, right? All of those guys are basically perfect style matchups for a knockout artist with great TDD..

Seems like everyone is a good match up if you're a knock out artist with great take down defense...

Boxers/kickboxers would stand with him and wrestlers/bjj guys can't take him down. He fought the best guys available at the time.

It depends on what you value. Liddell might have been the more dominant champ but I would say Penn is more accomplished overall.

Penn outside of 1 fight with Hughes in his prime, was pretty much a disaster at WW. He could have been a true legend at LW for much longer had he stayed put and trained harder..

Penn, he was actually the best in the world at 2 divisions at different times.

Chuck was never the best 205lb fighter, unfortunately.

Chuck Liddell was the poster child of the UFC while Penn was in his prime. As dominant as Penn was for the 4 fights his 155 streak lasted against weak competition Liddell was champ much longer fighting killers. Liddell is the more accomplished fighter and did way more for the growth of the sport, he just doesn't remind us everyday like Penn seems to.

Last edited:
Penn is the more accomplished fighter, with two belts in two weight classes.

Liddell was the more dominant champion. Edges him out imo. More title defenses, win streaks.

Penn could have been the GOAT easily specially when he was training with that crazy old man. But his inconsistent work ethic and not staying in one weight class made his record look like shit.

Penn no doubt,

Liddell just looks much cooler

Back