Possible Lightweight Idea

ChosenMMA

Part Of DC Nation & The Cruz & Velasquez Wagon
@purple
Reaction score
The forums are being over loaded with threads about the 205 main event and the situation with the lightweight title with Eddie Alvarez - Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor.

This is how I'd like to see it pans out.

A lot of debating about who deserves the shot at Alvarez outside of McGregor & Nurmagomedov when really, you can argue cases for neither of them deserving it, the last time McGregor fought at lightweight was his title win over Ivan Buchinger in Cage Warriors, he is still yet to fight at the weight in the UFC.

Nurmagomedov has one relevant win in his UFC career and that was against Rafael Dos Anjos two years ago, since then he has only fought once and that win was against a guy in Horcher who had never competed in the UFC before, a no name basically to the main stream eyes.

Since then Dos Anjos went on to be for them years a dominant champion, beating Henderson, Pettis, Diaz and Cerrone.

I'd rather see Alvarez fight the winner of Dos Anjos/Ferguson first but that would be waiting until next year, probably spring time and he obviously needs a fight until then, so a second preference would seeing him fight Edson Barboza.

Really Alvarez should fight Barboza considering he needs a fight, McGregor has fought Diaz at least and has a stronger argument for the shot than Khabib, so with that being said.

I'd have Eddie Alvarez defend the title against McGregor next and in the mean time have Khabib fight Barboza so at least if Khabib wins, that will warrant a case at the title, but not until Dos Anjos/Ferguson winner gets it before hand.

I am a huge Khabib fan, more so than McGregor, but it's hard to justify him getting the title shot first, thoughts on this?

I don't think it matters, at least not to me. That is the great part about having multiple options with no clear #1 contender. You really can't go wrong. Flip a coin, draw a name out of a hat, let the champ pick, let the fans vote, etc. You really can't go wrong.

Do a tournament and have Alvarez fight Conor
then
RDA #1 seed vs Barboza #4 seed
Khabib #2 seed vs Ferg #3 seed

"Nurmagomedov fights one no name in two years and is talking about earning shots, how amusing."

You seem like a great Khabib fan. ;)

How about Mcgregor defends his belt first against Aldo, and Alvarez could try to defend his belt as well? How does Mcgregor earn a LW title shot by not even defending his title and losing against a gatekeeper lightweight?

Dos Anjos defended his belt once against Cerrone. He beat up Pettis to win the belt, stopped Cerrone as the defense, and got starched by Eddie to lose the belt. Hardly a dominant champ, only had the belt for 481 days.

How about Mcgregor defends his belt first against Aldo, and Alvarez could try to defend his belt as well? How does Mcgregor earn a LW title shot by not even defending his title and losing against a gatekeeper lightweight?
Woah woah woah.....he beat Dennis fucking siver at 155. Please tell me how that doesn't get you an automatic title shot lol

its still the vicious circle bro.. You havent solved anything.

Back