@purple
Reaction score
Jones - Gus fight I scored it:
1- Gus (clear)
2- Jones
3- Gus
4- Jones (clear)
5- Jones (clear)
but I could see 2 and 3 rounds going either way.
Most dominant round - 5 by Jones,plus Jones rocked him and could finish in 4.

Gus - DC I scored:
1 - DC (clear)
2- Gus
3 - DC
4- Gus (clear)
5- DC(clear)
but I could see 2 and 3 going either way. Most dominant round - 1 by DC. In 3rd Gus rocked him and could finish.
Your thoughts?

DC-Gus was probably closer

Gus/DC was closer from what I remember but it's been a while.

Jones/Gus was way closer. DC should have gotten UD

I'd say Jones Gus because I thought Alex won the first 3 rounds, but Jones was able to steal one or 2 of them because of flashy strikes / champion bias

Jones/Alex was closer in terms of the 5-point must; there are questionable rounds.

DC 1/4/5, I don't know how you have Alex winning the 4th clearly, you might have your rounds messed up as you gave DC the 3rd. I thought Alex was going to win after the 3rd (he knocked DC down/hurt him badly), but he gassed hard and DC did everything significant in the last two rounds. Alex had no answer to DC's clinch uppercuts once he was tired.

Last edited:
DC-gustafsson wasnt that close at all, other than that knee in 3rd (?) round DC clearly won.
Gus vs JJ was super close. personally i gave it to gustafsson.

DC clearly won vs Gus.

Jones vs Gus could have gone either way.

hqdefault.jpg

Round 4 wasn't clear for Jones. He was getting beat soundly until he landed that elbow, which gave him that round to most(which is fair). But it's not like he was kicking ass the whole time.

Anyways... Closer fight was definitely DC vs Gus for me. That fight was such a draw where as Gus beat Jones.

DC vs Gus:

RD1 DC
RD2 Gus
RD3 Gus
RD4 Draw
RD5 DC

Then for Jones vs Gus, Gus 1, 2, 3. Four could be argued but most will give it to Jones as I did too.

I thought Gus beat Jones. I couldnt score Gus vs DC.

DC vs Gus was a classic case of a champ edging out a victory after hard battle. You have to beat the champ to become the champ and Gus didn't do that.

Jon Jones vs Gus was a case of a champ already being "beaten" and "losing his title" and having to win it back in the championship rounds. JJ going into the 3rd round had the mentality of "I have to win my title back".

DC fight was close but there was never a point where he was soundly losing the fight.

Jones/Gus was closer. I think both fights were close enough that had two minutes of one round gone differently, Gus would have been champ.

Most dominant round - 5 by Jones

Only reason Jones won the 5th was the takedown and that he pushed the pace hard the last half minute, Gus landed many of his best punches in that round. I have watched it multiple times in slow mo and counted every strike. All Jones 6 headkicks were partially or fully blocked. Rogan was going crazy about them for some reason while he ignored a lot of well landed clean strikes from Gus. Highly competitive, close round and I believe Gus very possibly did more damage, but I still scored it for Jones

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/round-5-jones-vs-gustafsson.2989921/

Gus - DC I scored:
1 - DC (clear)
2- Gus
3 - DC
4- Gus (clear)
5- DC(clear)
but I could see 2 and 3 going either way. Most dominant round - 1 by DC. In 3rd Gus rocked him and could finish.
Your thoughts?

I agree in a sense that round 2 and 3 were the closest and 4 was clear for Gus. Yet many people believe DC won the 4th which doesnt make any sense because Gus dominated the first half of the round and the latter part was competitive with maybe a slight edge to DC. Gus won the sig.strikes by a clear margin and there was no grappling in that round = competitive, but relatively clear round for Gus.

2 and 3 are determined by how much you want to value those 1 or 2 takedowns for Gus in round 2, and how much value the knockdown in round 3, when he was losing the round at that point. Imo, Gus won that round, because Gus again started the round stronger and was ahead in points before the uppercuts from DC started. Those uppercuts gave DC the clear lead, but then came the knockdown by Gus. That knockdown was the most significant moment of the fight and should have given the lead again for Gus, especially since he also had a stronger start in that round. There is no logic or consistency in judging that Jones won round 4 against Gus, but DC also won round 3 against Gus.

Only reason Jones won the 5th was the takedown and that he pushed the pace hard the last half minute, Gus landed many of his best punches in that round. I have watched it multiple times in slow mo and counted every strike. All Jones 6 headkicks were partially or fully blocked. Rogan was going crazy about them for some reason while he ignored a lot of well landed clean strikes from Gus. Highly competitive, close round and I believe Gus very possibly did more damage, but I still scored it for Jones

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/round-5-jones-vs-gustafsson.2989921/

I agree in a sense that round 2 and 3 were the closest and 4 was clear for Gus. Yet many people believe DC won the 4th which doesnt make any sense because Gus dominated the first half of the round and the latter part was competitive with maybe a slight edge to DC. Gus won the sig.strikes by a clear margin and there was no grappling in that round = competitive, but relatively clear round for Gus.

2 and 3 are determined by how much you want to value those 1 or 2 takedowns for Gus in round 2, and how much value the knockdown in round 3, when he was losing the round at that point. Imo, Gus won that round, because Gus again started the round stronger and was ahead in points before the uppercuts from DC started. Those uppercuts gave DC the clear lead, but then came the knockdown by Gus. That knockdown was the most significant moment of the fight and should have given the lead again for Gus, especially since he also had a stronger start in that round. There is no logic or consistency in judging that Jones won round 4 against Gus, but DC also won round 3 against Gus.

So, overall, how did you score both fights?

Back