Khabib: “I promise the LW fighters, Conor is not going to fight for the belt without earning it."

IamStryker

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
http://www.news.com.au/sport/boxing...e/news-story/fb24c041b1226881b3f949a82328a876

While it appears that fight is now off the table, it never sat well with Nurmagomedov that McGregor would leapfrog him into title contention without a single fight at lightweight since coming to the UFC.

Now Nurmagomedov has a message for McGregor in a statement released to FOX Sports late Thursday by his manager as he awaits word on his lightweight title fight.

“I promise I’ll become the lightweight champ,” he said.
“I promise all the lightweight fighters, Conor is not going to fight for the belt. He’s going to have to earn it. From the bottom up.”

I had not seen this yet. If it's been posted already please merge.

I think Khabib is really awesome for this. He would turn down all of that money because he sees it as unfair to the other LW fighters.

Nurmagomedov bless

Dana's response
WnVvhaO.gif

Easy to say when that fight is not on the table for you. No one will turn down a red party night. It would be foolish.

Whilst Khabib is obviously a very elite fighter, it's a bit ironic that he is saying this, having beaten RDA and nobody else of any more in the last 4 years.

A sane person would argue that Barboza and Ferguson are ahead of him in terms of title shot aspirations. I'd even have given Cerrone the fight after the two above purely as reward for his activeness (obviously he's been on a tear albeit at WW - and holds a W over Eddie)

Khabib beats a debutant after 2 years of non-activity and couldnt give a ticket for free - Calls for a title shot <mma4>

Conor beats the number 4 ranked LW, is the highest grossing star and is a current FW champion and he has more right to the title shot than Khabib.

Last edited:
Khabib beats a debutant after 2 years of non-activity - Calls for a title shot <mma4>

Conor beats the number 4 ranked LW and is a current FW champion and he has more right to the title shot than Khabib.

Nate was number 5 I believe and that fight was not at 155 so probably doesn't count.

I legitimately believe Khabib is overrated. I don't mean that he isn't great, but that win over RDA before RDA even went on his real run somehow made Khabib a superhuman fighter in the minds of some.

I think he'd beat Conor, but he'll lose to Alvarez.

If he's the champion he can probably choose to fight the real number 1 contender.
He could try but next up would be Ferguson and I would love that fight. Tony is exciting but let's be real. That's a FS1 main event at best or a secondary title fight on a PPV like Cruz or DJ unless like in most DJ cases the first main event gets pulled.

So if the UFC had to choose I'm pretty sure they'd go with Connor who gets them a million everytime out recently.

Nate was number 5 I believe and that fight was not at 155 so probably doesn't count.

The idea that the win is immaterial to the LW division because they didn't both perform some stupid weight cutting ritual is exactly why weight cutting is stupid.

He better watch what he says before actually getting the belt. Looking forward to him performing surgery on Alvarez. Hopefully he doesnt get the brass' hackles up with statements like that before anything is publically official.

Easy to say when that fight is not on the table for you. No one will turn down a red party night. It would be foolish.

Bit of reverse psychology going on there, I reckon. He's managed by that lunatic who was sending out Tweets on Edgar's account and Nurmagomdeov's the other day.

He wants his cut before he's probably abandoned by all his clients.

The idea that the win is immaterial to the LW division because they didn't both perform some stupid weight cutting ritual is exactly why weight cutting is stupid.

Yeah I would agree with that. Although if you do count those fights then Conor is 1-1 at LW with his first fight being a Submission loss and his second fight being a close decision to the same guy. He isn't exactly at the top of the division based on that.

LOL who is Khabib to speak for the LW division

LOL at Khabib trying to "position" himself as some liberal shinning white knight to the "big bad Conor"

The irony being that Conor does far greater good for MMA and the fighters. Conor gets opponents paid. Just being on Conor's undercard gets you more eye balls watching

So tell me how Khabib benefits the fighters like Conor does?

If I were a LW fighter I would be FAR MORE PISSED with Khabib getting the title shot

Khabib has 1 fight in 2-3 years...1 top5 win his whole career and is coming off a win over an UNranked LW

At least Conor is coming off a DOMINANT decision over the #5 LW....was only a "majority" decision because Nate was GIFTED a draw by an incompetent judge

I bet Eddie Alvarez himself would tell you Conor>>>>Khabib..so no, Khabib the new Dana golden boy can not speak for anyone else in the division

Ton of respect if he does that.

Not everyone is a money hungry whore it seems.

LOL who is Khabib to speak for the LW division

LOL at Khabib trying to "position" himself as some liberal shinning white knight to the "big bad Conor"

The irony being that Conor does far greater good for MMA and the fighters. Conor gets opponents paid. Just being on Conor's undercard gets you more eye balls watching

So tell me how Khabib benefits the fighters like Conor does?

If I were a LW fighter I would be FAR MORE PISSED with Khabib getting the title shot

Khabib has 1 fight in 2-3 years...1 top5 win his whole career and is coming off a win over an UNranked LW

At least Conor is coming off a DOMINANT decision over the #5 LW....was only a "majority" decision because Nate was GIFTED a draw by an incompetent judge

I bet Eddie Alvarez himself would tell you Conor>>>>Khabib..so no, Khabib the new Dana golden boy can not speak for anyone else in the division

Chr0w45.jpg

Khabib beats a debutant after 2 years of non-activity and couldnt give a ticket for free - Calls for a title shot <mma4>

Conor beats the number 4 ranked LW, is the highest grossing star and is a current FW champion and he has more right to the title shot than Khabib.

"muh money fight"

<36>

Back