revisionist history in Silva/Chonan and GSP/Serra

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Both of these fights have a similar problem. many casuals will say that both were hail mary incidents. but chonan was arguably winning the fight up until the kneebar, and serra beat gsp pillar to post not just with that last flurry.

a real hail mary would be Mir vs Lesnar 1. Lesnar drops mir and is winning. enter a shady standup from the ref which changed the course of the fight. mir eventually gets lucky.

another would be say woodley vs lawler. a striker thinking too much about the wrestlers grappling. same thing happened when randleman knocked out cro cop.

Serra didn't beat gsp pillar to post, the only significant thing in that fight was the KO sequence. It was very early and both were feeling each other out

Brock hit Mir in the back of the head like 10 times

Legit stand up

theres no such thing as luck if you win you win unless the ref or judges help you then its fucked

Hardly anything happened in the Serra/GSP fight till Serra finished him. Chonan was probably ahead on scorecards against Silva, but again, not much really happened in that fight either

People saying that Aldo was reckless with that combo against Conor when he does that literally in every fight lol

I agree that luck had nothing to do with serra vs gsp, but I can't agree that serra was beating gsp pillar to post. He was landing some good right hands but gsp was landing some good stuff too. I also agree that chonan v. Silva wasn't luck either, but I don't subscribe to the sherdog meme that ryo was dominating Anderson up to the sub. I think it was a very close fight, & I would very slightly lean towards Silva before that crazy sub.

Arlovski was working Fedor before the KO. Not really.

It was practically a stalemate. At most it looked like it would be a competitive fight. AA stuffed a takedown or two.. landed a nice push kick and promptly got knocked out in mid air.

Yes, Chonan was winning the fight

No, Serra didn't beat GSP from pillar to post.

Both of these fights have a similar problem. many casuals will say that both were hail mary incidents. but chonan was arguably winning the fight up until the kneebar, and serra beat gsp pillar to post not just with that last flurry.

a real hail mary would be Mir vs Lesnar 1. Lesnar drops mir and is winning. enter a shady standup from the ref which changed the course of the fight. mir eventually gets lucky.

another would be say woodley vs lawler. a striker thinking too much about the wrestlers grappling. same thing happened when randleman knocked out cro cop.

Decrys two other myths, repeats a third one.

Arlovski was working Fedor before the KO. Not really.

It was practically a stalemate. At most it looked like it would be a competitive fight. AA stuffed a takedown or two.. landed a nice push kick and promptly got knocked out in mid air.

Nah

AA was putting the hurt on fedor and backed him up into the corner

I mean Matt had a couple exchanges with gsp before the flurry and that was it. Neither was losing or winning, just feeling it out and then the flurry. Chonan was losing but he was frustrating anderson for sure.

I mean Matt had a couple exchanges with gsp before the flurry and that was it. Neither was losing or winning, just feeling it out and then the flurry. Chonan was losing but he was frustrating anderson for sure.
if the fight ended before the ko, it was gsp via dec. Chonan was winning, not beating the shit out of AS but winning

Let it go, man...

Bowling%20Cant%20Let%20Go.gif

Nah

AA was putting the hurt on fedor and backed him up into the corner

i noted the good push kick. Up to that point the only thing of consequence quickly followed by the ultimate consequence

I dont normally quote the op.....but so much wrong with this i had to.....just so i could respond point by point.....

Silva was losing that fight.....him and bj always both had a problem with lateral moving strikers.....chonan was putting on a clinic....silva was landing harder, but chonan was landing alot more.....it was a heel hook that ended the fight.....not a kneebar....

Serra however landed a punch behind gsps ear that didnt hurt him but completely took away his balance and didnt give gsp time to recover......i rarely use the term lucky shot, because it doesnt exist....but this is the closest example i can think of.....

Brock was pounding the back of mirs head.....the stand up was justified....especially at hw....would you have preferred a 5 minute break or a dq? mirs finish of brock was a great display of jiu jitsu....

Finally....its not lucky that lawler was worried about grappling.....having a mulifaceted game makes your opponent fight worse cuz they have to spread their focus to defend all threats....

Serra didn't beat gsp pillar to post, the only significant thing in that fight was the KO sequence. It was very early and both were feeling each other out
Don't worry, I'm sure TS claims Conor beat Aldo from pillar to post before the KO punch...

Back