How Dan Henderson Might be GOAT

Armitage Shanks

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was just thinking...if he finishes his career winning the UFC belt, I don't think anyone has ever or will ever surpass his achievements.

He's fought and beat Fedor, prime Wanderlei, prime Nog, won strike force, Pride and UFC belts (if he wins it of course), and even though he lost he can say he's been up against prime Anderson, prime Cormier and prime Rampage. As a career, I don;t think anyone else has been or will be so decorated. Incredible. I'm not a Bisping hater, and loved it when he won the belt, but I'm rooting so hard for Hendo on this one...

Henderson can never be GOAT. Has over a dozen losses to various different people. He's probably in top 25 all-time MMA fighters though.

For someone to be GOAT they need either close to a perfect record (Jose Aldo, GSP), or else literally be a wizard (Anderson Silva).

You are mixing up "better career" with "GOAT".

People are putting way to much emphasis on belts and titles. Belts and title's worth are dependent on who you beat to get them. Getting the belt from Bisping is meaningless. He's a gatekeeper who got lucky.

Decorated, yes. Hall of famer, yes. GOAT? Hell no.

1384054602398_zps54641c26.gif

All due respect to Dan but the greatest mixed martial artist of all time does a bit more than shuffle towards opponents and swing a big right hand

Henderson can never be GOAT. Has over a dozen losses to various different people. He's probably in top 25 all-time MMA fighters though.

For someone to be GOAT they need either close to a perfect record (Jose Aldo, GSP), or else literally be a wizard (Anderson Silva).
I dont like this defination of goat. The prefect win record requirement. Also peds remove you from goat talk(Silva,Aldo)

I was just thinking...if he finishes his career winning the UFC belt, I don't think anyone has ever or will ever surpass his achievements.

He's fought and beat Fedor, prime Wanderlei, prime Nog, won strike force, Pride and UFC belts (if he wins it of course), and even though he lost he can say he's been up against prime Anderson, prime Cormier and prime Rampage. As a career, I don;t think anyone else has been or will be so decorated. Incredible. I'm not a Bisping hater, and loved it when he won the belt, but I'm rooting so hard for Hendo on this one...
He ranks over Fedor

He's an historic fighter for sure, but he has never been skilled enough to achieve GOAT status. He will always remain one of my all time favorite athletes. And I'm so torn when it comes to this bout. Bisping getting revenge would be awesome considering how far he has come since that KO, but Dan leaving his career behind with another belt for his wall would be equally amazing.

Both would be amazing ends to a movie if we're so lucky to ever get a decent MMA movie.

The guy was on TrT and Peds almost his entire career. He is not even in the conversation.

All due respect to Dan but the greatest mixed martial artist of all time does a bit more than shuffle towards opponents and swing a big right hand

Pretty much.

I'd rank Fedor over him and I talk all day about the high can/no experience fighter diet the supposed GOAT padded his record with. Dan should be highly appreciated and ranked but never in GOAT discussion.

An Olympic wrestler that probably has the heaviest right hand ever in MMA. I don't think you're assessment is on par with his career.

? lol ok, now name 24 fighters with a better resume.... Dan has faced the toughest competition of any fighter - period. That accounts for his win/loss record. The majority of Fedor's wins were against cans with a few notable wins. GSP has a great resume without a doubt although finishing his career on a 7 fight decision "streak" is a bit of a detractor. Silva has a pretty stellar resume although it also is interspersed with guys who do not belong in the top ten but then again middleweight has always been a shallow division. Aldo, Cruz and Mighty Mouse all have pretty amazing resumes.

However none of the above fighters has faced the level of competition that Henderson has. Setting aside for a moment the fact that Hendo is a 185 pounder that KO'd the GOAT heavyweight and routinely has fought guys larger than himself. Despite my not being a fan of Anderson Silva, he did go up in weight to 205 with success (Griffin being his biggest win). The steroid bust pretty much takes him out of GOAT contention though.

My top guys:

GSP
Aldo
Cruz
Mighty Mouse
Cormier
Khabib
Hendo

Jones and Silva should be number one and two but the steroids makes that problematic

Guys that could get there:

Weidman/Rockhold (one or the other...)
Cain

He was 29-8 when his prime ended. Against very tough competition, but its still not enough.

Back