Point fighters vs. Grinders

marwash

Booty Warrior
@Green
Reaction score
point fighters = not looking for the finish, just looking to pick you apart for 3-5 rounds.

e.g. Dom, DJ, Holly, Rory, Bisping, Joanna Champion.

grinders = looking to keep pressure on you against the cage, or take you down and either g&p you or take your back for the win.

e.g. Maia, Cormier, Frankie, Khabib, Cejudo, Weidman, Juliana Pena.

which style of fighter do you prefer to watch, and do you hate either style of fighter?

Depends. Done right they are both entertaining.

Joanna Champion will finish you if she can. It aint her fault she is 115 lbs.

Depending on fighter, no preference. I like DC fights and consider them highly entertaining, especially his insane slam takedowns, but I also enjoy Rory fight.

On the other hand I don't like Bisping much, and Maia is kind of boring as well against good competition when he's not able to pull of a sub quickly.

Depends on how well one can talk trash. A grinder who can talk trash e.g. Chael >> flashy finisher with boring personality e.g. that Brazilian dude who likes to KO people, Edison Barberina or whatever his name is.

I wouldnt call Bisping, Rory, Joanna, DJ point fighters. Rory has had a bad performance or two but i wouldnt call that justification for calling him a point fighter.

They just pick a gameplan and stick to it till the finish happens or decision comes.

Hahaha.

DJ? Not looking to finish?
Lol wtf
i didn't say he couldn't finish. he can. he's just not aggressive about it.

he's one of, if the not the safest fighter in mma. He's all about hitting you w/o getting hit. He'd rather use his cardio to beat you up than finish you by putting power into one shot.

i didn't say he couldn't finish. he can. he's just not aggressive about it.

he's one of, if the not the safest fighter in mma. He's all about hitting you w/o getting hit. He'd rather use his cardio to beat you up than finish you by putting power into one shot.

Except he aggressively has looked for the finish in every fight he's had the past two/three years.

Though to answer your actual question, because it's a good thread, I like fighters who embrace the grind more.

Grinders. Point fighters are good if you're looking to fall asleep.

so you attribute DJ's style more to being patient and smart, than you do to not aggressively looking for the finish?

I attribute DJ's style to being high pace aggressive "counter" fighting. Meaning he presses forward both on the feet and the ground in order to force guys into making mistakes he can capitalize on.

At the all you can eat buffet, Ronda's a grinder who has no peer.

I attribute DJ's style to being high pace aggressive "counter" fighting. Meaning he presses forward both on the feet and the ground in order to force guys into making mistakes he can capitalize on.

That's pretty much what you said about grinders

Mighty Mouse has been finishing a lot lately

I like bisping's style.its the perfect style for him.

Back