GSP looks focused and hungry - Woodley fight sounds good to me...

krelianx

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
After seeing him on the Tonight show, I am quite positively struck by how GSP is sounding. I know talk is cheap, but the man looks more focused and hungry than I've seen him in years. If he is right about being better than ever, then it is extremely exciting news for MMA fans. Like him or not, he is one of the greatest the sport has seen, and watching him compete against today's upper echelon is a unique chance to see how the sport has evolved, if at all, since his departure, and how he has evolved as well.

One thing I don't quite understand is: why Nick Diaz? My best guess is that he thinks it would be a big money fight, since the Diaz brand-name is riding an all time high, thanks to Nate's fights with Conor. But beating Diaz again will do nothing for Pierre legacy wise, absolutely nothing. Diaz hasn't won a fight in an extremely long time, he didn't look as tenacious as usual in his last outings, and he was already soundly beaten by Pierre. If he wants to prove himself worthy of the best today, that's not the fight to ask for.

Of course, maybe this is just it, he wants big money fights he knows he can win, and the whole 'legacy' and 'proving oneself' rhetoric is just a hype-sham. That would be disappointing and a sign this is happening for the wrong reasons, since Pierre has been the most exemplar competitor and champion the sport has seen, always looking to improve, training harder than anyone, showing top sportsmanship and professionalism.

I think beating Woodley or Maia would be highly impressive. Some say GSP ducked Lawler, but I don't think this is true. He was hustling for a fight with Bisping, since winning the MW title would have been indeed a very impressive accolade, not to mention that it is a winnable fight. With Bisping shoving that out of the way, challenging the current WW champion seems like the right choice: Woodley is a more difficult match up than Lawler, I believe. He presents similar challenges as Hendricks, with very strong clinch-wrestling, excellent takedown defense, and huge power.

It would be a great fight, to measure how he responds to a similar challenge than his last fight, in which he fared at his worst since losing against Serra.

Can't wait to see what Georges still has. Really hoping that it's Woodley. Tryon and Anderson Silva are the only fights for him I'd be super excited for.

Diaz doesn't deserve it. Been half a decade since he's beaten anybody, and was soundly defeated first time.

Woodley vs GSP would be awesome. They need to make that fight.

They need to give GSP whatever he wants. He's a bigger star than Ronda or Conor could ever hope to be.

It is possible, that he goes after whoever has the belt now because a teammate is no longer in any contention for the belt. I suppose he could have called out Lawler after Rory's Wonderboy debacle. However, the Lawler/Woodley tussle was already in the pipe. It would be silly to call out Lawler before the result of that title match was known. At this time, it makes sense to go for the belt again. The Nick Diaz call out may be a red herring to give the illusion of choice to the UFC. No one is clamouring for a GSP/Diaz 2 and no one thinks the result would be any different - utter domination.

It is personal with Nick Diaz. I think Nick is the only guy to ever get under GSP's skin.

Only fighter rather. Dana definitely got deeper

It is personal with Nick Diaz. I think Nick is the only guy to ever get under GSP's skin.

Only fighter rather. Dana definitely got deeper

That would make sense if there was unfinished business.

But he beat him already, decisively, and Nick has been on a slump, not to mention he is about as unreliable a fight as they come, given his 'habits'. It seems like an unreasonable fight. It would pay, I'm sure...

That would make sense if there was unfinished business.

But he beat him already, decisively, and Nick has been on a slump, not to mention he is about as unreliable a fight as they come, given his 'habits'. It seems like an unreasonable fight. It would pay, I'm sure...

Yea, before Nick decided to start it again.

Anderson should win a fight then fight Georges, Woodley's fighting Thompson or he's getting stripped

Back