John Kavanagh: Conor fighting at 145 is "almost cheating"

real2124

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/2...tly-terrified-watching-nate-diaz-absorb-conor

I agree. His size, reach and power advantage does not make it a level playing field...

Nate has the best chins (or one of) in the game and he was knocked down 3 times in two rounds.

Look at Mendes. Look at Aldo.

Who in the 145 division can possibly take those shots?

I love Conor. But I (and possibly Kavanagh) have no interest in seeing Conor score early knockouts vs smaller guys at 145.

I want to see him at 155.

Thoughts? Is he "almost cheating" as Kavanagh puts it?

He has no intention of returning to 145. He's just holding onto the belt as long as humanly possible

Max is the only dude to make it out of the 2nd round. And even he got dominated on a bum leg.

He has no intention of returning to 145. He's just holding onto the belt as long as humanly possible

He's waiting until he can be the first to hold the 145 and 155 belts at the same time and then he will drop the 145.

I think it's his best weight class. He's a little too small for LW still. He needs about 10 more quality lbs.

But he has little man's complex and doesn't want to sit at the 'kiddy table" . He wants to play with the big boys.

Gotta admire his heart and belief in himself though.

Max is the only dude to make it out of the 2nd round. And even he got dominated on a bum leg.
Max was also injured in that fight. You don't hear about that too much though. Would love to see a rematch with no injuries.
image.jpeg

Of course, Conor has all the advantages he can get at 145 except speed, and his chin is solid enough it hasn't mattered so far that he's not the fastest FW.

As long as he has George Lockhart on the team he can make that weight just fine.

And obviously he still has to prove the Aldo win was no fluke. JDS rematched Cain, Serra rematched GSP, Nate rematched Conor. Etc.

He's to big for 145 but he is also small for 155 , he's a weird size like Aldo thats why Aldo has never gone to 155

2-week training camp Mendes gave him one of the toughest fights of his career.

He went 1-1 against Nate @ 170 and all it showed us is that the wrestling question mark is still there.

How does he stop an elite wrestler with good cardio?

I was so disappointed when Aldo beat Edgar because I think Edgar is 1 of the few featherweights that has a really good chance at beating Conor.

Taking a detour from featherweight probably saved Conor's starpower because Aldo eliminated Edgar who would have otherwise grapple-fucked Conor hard.

The Holloway fight was a few years ago, and I believe they were both injuried. I think Max has the tools to stand with Connor, I'd love to see a rematch down the line.

145 is his insurance policy. If he loses at 145 that's his career pretty much. He can lose at 155 and go back down to 145.

Isn't it fighter bashing to call someone a cheater? I think Jon Kavanagh should be IP banned from Sherdog.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/8/2...tly-terrified-watching-nate-diaz-absorb-conor

I agree. His size, reach and power advantage does not make it a level playing field...

Nate has the best chins (or one of) in the game and he was knocked down 3 times in two rounds.

Look at Mendes. Look at Aldo.

Who in the 145 division can possibly take those shots?

I love Conor. But I (and possibly Kavanagh) have no interest in seeing Conor score early knockouts vs smaller guys at 145.

I want to see him at 155.

Thoughts? Is he "almost cheating" as Kavanagh puts it?

I think Conor is the third GOAT. But, they just talking out of their asses here. I can even see Thomson losing to Conor, Eddie to Conor as well, but fw division isn't anything to scoff at. I can see Edgar beating Conor, Aldo beating Conor, hell even Mendez beating Conor, Choi possibly beating Conor, etc.

Back