Anderson : Was the fight against Cormier one of the craziest moves in UFC?

Hazuki Ryo

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I mean.. Cormier is no joke. Perhaps one of the best LHW there has ever been. He was toying with heavyweights, won the Strikeforce GP, and has been beaten by one man only.. Jon Jones, one of the GOATS.

Now think about it. Anderson coming off a broken leg (which is still haunting him, he said it after the bisping fight), at 40 fuckin years old, decides to seize the opportunity to move up a weight class once more in order to face the LHW champion on 2 days notice.

Even if it's for the money, it's a pretty big risk considering his age and his time spent in the ring. How come his family did not prevent him to make this foolish fight i'll never know.

Anyway, has there been a similar insanity ?

I'm thinking of Saku vs Wanderlei, cause the fool faced him 3 times knowing that Wandy was a bigger man and a pretty proven savage (and the result ? 3 TKOS/KOS in the first round)

Also Randy vs Sylvia was kinda crazy when you remember the context..

If Chael Vs Jones had happened without an initial cancellation, that would have been that crazy imo

I'm not sure what your exact definition of insanity is tho

If Chael Vs Jones had happened without an initial cancellation, that would have been that crazy imo

I'm not sure what your exact definition of insanity is tho

I call it insane when one fighter may put his career on the line. Chael vs Jones was quite crazy but the irony is that it's Jones who broke his toe

To be fair it wasn't that crazy stylistically. DC isn't a feared striker. And it was three rounds. So given that, you're looking at Anderson getting grappled and some lay and pray.

Royce against Matt Hueghs was pretty odd.

Puts all of the people refusing to move up 10 lbs for a superfight in a new perspective.

Nah.

He had a strikers chance, and I'm sure he got paid well.

Cabo Nate vs Conor on 10 days notice was insane, and look what happened. You never know how the cards may fall in a fight.

Anderson gained fans and Cormier lost them lol which is kinda fked

I call it insane when one fighter may put his career on the line. Chael vs Jones was quite crazy but the irony is that it's Jones who broke his toe

Well, Wanderlei fighting Hunt and Crocop, and other pride guys like Minowaman and Saku fighting much bigger guys.

lol. The decision was easy for Anderson to make. He even called Dana to make the fight. It was a win-win for Silva. He didnt even have to think twice about how good DC was. Anderson should get credit for stepping up but but lets not make it seem like Silva had to think about it.

I mean.. Cormier is no joke. Perhaps one of the best LHW there has ever been. He was toying with heavyweights, won the Strikeforce GP, and has been beaten by one man only.. Jon Jones, one of the GOATS.

Now think about it. Anderson coming off a broken leg (which is still haunting him, he said it after the bisping fight), at 40 fuckin years old, decides to seize the opportunity to move up a weight class once more in order to face the LHW champion on 2 days notice.

Even if it's for the money, it's a pretty big risk considering his age and his time spent in the ring. How come his family did not prevent him to make this foolish fight i'll never know.

Anyway, has there been a similar insanity ?

I'm thinking of Saku vs Wanderlei, cause the fool faced him 3 times knowing that Wandy was a bigger man and a pretty proven savage (and the result ? 3 TKOS/KOS in the first round)

Also Randy vs Sylvia was kinda crazy when you remember the context..
It's not that insane. He's done and had nothing to lose. Most people would agree to get beat up for 5 million dollars.

I love how bill burr put it. "That was some Vinny testaverde shit"

Silva came like 7 pounds short of the weight limit.

While I respect Silva for taking the fight, I can't say it was a huge risk on his part. He had no stock in the division, he was already facing a bad matchup, he found his way onto the 200 card, got to compete against a champion, and was paid nicely for it, all in less time than the common work week.

If anything, DC took the bigger risk. A loss would have been devastating.

Nah.

Cabo Nate vs Conor on 10 days notice was insane, and look what happened. You never know how the cards may fall in a fight.

Anderson took that fight on 2 days notice while not actively training due to a recent surgery. He was in far worse shape than Cabo Nate.

Nah.

LOL at comparing Diaz/McGregor 1 to Anderson Silva fighting DANIEL CORMIER on 2 days notice. you have an agenda my dude.

giphy.gif

5BB.gif

How is it a risk? The guy has been making a living in that sport for close to 20 years. He has already been knocked out. The only risk was getting knocked out once again, which isn't much for an experienced fighter.

On the other side:
1- He was getting an enormous payday for not much work (no training camp)
2- Losing wouldn't be held against him, because it was short notice and he was smaller.
3- Winning would he held in HIGH esteem.

The advantages far outweighed the disadvantages. It would have been dumb not to take the fight.

"And when I looked across from him and he's crouching, he's in his Spider position. In that moment, I did kind of have that one moment where I went wow, that's Anderson Silva."

Back