Do fans who have never participated in a real martial art (wrestling, bjj, boxing, etc) annoy you?

No but when they say ignorant things and act like they know what they're talking about, that's annoying.

[smull1]

Those jabronis can stick it up their candy asses.

Also, nice, subtle jack slack bashing thread.

I've found plenty of stupid annoyances in both camps

I was a Wrestler. (I don't feel like a martial artist, and have never had any "fans" refer to me as such in my day. Are you positive that we scholastic wrestlers were/ are actual martial artists? Either way, nah to each their own.

I play football every week but I don't consider those who don't to be less knowledgeable fans, and neither should you.

But I find fans who have baseball experience and no martial experience to be the worst for some reason

I think it's pretty important to do some training if you're going to be a huge MMA fan. Not so much because of what anyone else thinks, but just so you understand what you're watching. Training helps folks be better fans, and enjoy it more IMO.

I play football every week but I don't consider those who don't to be less knowledgeable fans, and neither should you.

Football is different because there are plays and schemes that can be studied based on statistics and tendencies. Baseball as well

People who have never played real (i.e., tackle) football are less knowledgeable about football.

I was a Wrestler. (I don't feel like a martial artist, and have never had any "fans" refer to me as such in my day. Are you positive that we scholastic wrestlers were/ are actual martial artists? Either way, nah to each their own.
If you've ever shoved your fingers in someone's butthole to prevent a takedown or as a last ditch effort to complete a switch, you're forever and always a martial artist

If you're annoyed by people who haven't trained, you've got some serious issues. People don't have to train to enjoy the sport.

Only when they say things to sound like they know what they are talking about.

So pretty much...when they talk.

No more than arrogant dummies who think they're hot shit because they have a minimum amount of experience in some type of combat sport, and somehow that makes them the next best thing to being a pro fighter. And of course as a nearly pro fighter, their knowledge and wisdom is above reproach, and those of us with no such background should kneel before them and not waste their time with our inferior opinions. Jackass.

No. You do not need a background in martial arts to be a knowledgeable fan and have valid input.

Can you have a more insightful perspective if you train regularly? Of course, but it's not a problem to just be a fan.

Football is different because there are plays and schemes that can be studied based on statistics and tendencies. Baseball as well

No it's not. Unless you've spent time hitting and wrapping, getting your head in front of a ballcarrier when attempting a tackle, shed blocks, etc. there is a low ceiling for how much one can understand the game. Knowing what a post is in theory, and running one & trying to make a catch with a safety bearing down on you, are totally different things.

If you're annoyed by people who haven't trained, you've got some serious issues. People don't have to train to enjoy the sport.
Surely you can admit it's annoying hearing a fan who has never trained yelling "why don't you just get up and punch him !?!?!"

No it's not. Unless you've spent time hitting and wrapping, getting your head in front of a ballcarrier when attempting a tackle, shed blocks, etc. there is a low ceiling for how much one can understand the game. Knowing what a post is in theory, and running one & trying to make a catch with a safety bearing down on you, are totally different things.

Obviously but you can still call and understand plays and such , there are guys in the nfl now who never played that are coordinators

Sometimes. Plenty of people who have never trained are informed enough though. I do get legit annoyed with people who don't know the first thing about grappling from time to time, but I'm biased as a lifelong wrestler who turned to bjj after college.

Back