Money fights mentality vs. To be the best mind frame

L0ki

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Which do you prefer?

Both are understandable.

I honestly like the to be the best mind frame.

Obviously, getting paid is important but it was better when fighters were looking to become the best or fight the best to take their spots.

Cloner, whether intended or not, has spear headed a movement where fighters are doing their best to pick and choose opponents (T-wood, Alvarez, Pena, etc.) based solely off the profit.

If you generalize that mentality, it becomes a bunch of fights where Champions could be facing people outside the top 10 or not the number 1, 2 or even 3 contenders. Connie vs. Nasty Nate I and II are examples. Both fights were pointless.

Which do you prefer?

I like fights.

Fuck all that other shit.

I prefer Money fighters, needing others to think you are the best stinks of vanity and insecurity.

Last edited:
I like the guys who seem like they'd do this shit for free. But I don't begrudge the guys who want the big money.

God knows I'd want millions to do what they do.

It's understandable that fighters want the big cheques, but as a fan it makes no difference to me how big their bank balance is, I want the right fights first and foremost. This is the eternal problem with prize fighting.

No way to know who's the best. Lots of champs, right now, aren't necessarily "the best".

Who do we have at a particular weightclass who's the consensus best? MM? That's probably it.

So why not head for the money fights?

I like money fights because they are often exciting and raise the profile of MMA in general.

I like championship fights because they're often 2 of the best in the division.

I like fights, I guess. I don't see why this would be an "either or" scenario though. I don't find any conflict in liking them both...

The best guys end up being the money fights. So the guys begging for money fights know they will never been great

Money fights, as long as they don't happen too often and are intriguing

Unlike travesties like Shamrock/Gracie 3 and all the BJ Penn returns

I like money fights because they are often exciting and raise the profile of MMA in general.

I like championship fights because they're often 2 of the best in the division.

I like fights, I guess. I don't see why this would be an "either or" scenario though. I don't find any conflict in liking them both...

It's for the people who lean more one way than the other.

I liked both Nasty Nate vs. Connie fights.

That said, they were both completely pointless and would have rather had Cloner Aldo II, Connie Edgar, or both.

Which do you prefer?

Both are understandable.

I honestly like the to be the best mind frame.

Obviously, getting paid is important but it was better when fighters were looking to become the best or fight the best to take their spots.

Cloner, whether intended or not, has spear headed a movement where fighters are doing their best to pick and choose opponents (T-wood, Alvarez, Pena, etc.) based solely off the profit.

If you generalize that mentality, it becomes a bunch of fights where Champions could be facing people outside the top 10 or not the number 1, 2 or even 3 contenders. Connie vs. Nasty Nate I and II are examples. Both fights were pointless.

Which do you prefer?
Money fights>everything. This is entertainment not sports. It is closer to WWE than MLB and always has been since Judo Gene was fighting boxers.

What I fear about "money fights" is this is the route boxing has gone and now it is about money, not ever about top guys fighting each other. Or they will fight each other years after it should have happened and they are out of their prime *cough*mayweather-pac*cough*. The one thing I can appreciate about MMA is the top guys usually fight each other but if we keep seeing fights like Conor-Diaz and Bisping-Hendo we could be in trouble. For fuck sakes, Hendo has lost like 4 of his last 6 fights and he is getting a title shot. Get real.

No easy solution to the problem.

I'd be lying if I said I like either model. "The best" led to some boring but for the most part deserved matches, yet it kept away fan favorite fights like AS vs GSP for example. The money fight mentality is a no go as well because of what you said. We'll get some weird freakshow fights like Conor vs Nate at Welterweight while both guys should be Lightweights, but are highly entertaining to the fans.

So my stance I guess is I like the structured model but would love if fan favorite fights got tossed into the mix as well. Thinking about it, another problem with the money fight type model too is that it seems reserved for champions and should go off of things like beef or other factors.

Pettis vs Aldo could have happened at anytime, McGregor vs Cerrone should happen at anytime, and other fights where the two fighters hate each other. Recently Eddie says he doesn't like Bisping.. Well fight then.

I really enjoyed the runs to the belt of Anderson, Lyoto, Fedor, Minotauro, Pettis and Benson Henderson.

All these fighters had the Be The Best mentality. They were the best for me personally.

Money fights>everything. This is entertainment not sports. It is closer to WWE than MLB and always has been since Judo Gene was fighting boxers.

That join date, though.

It's definitely a sport. The entertainment aspect has shown to ruin, when taken to an extreme.

With no Pac man and Mayweather, boxing is virtually dead in the water because no other fighter holds public interest. And even Pac vs. Mayweather dropped a large number of fans because it became too much about how much they're getting paid.

Definitely like the Shogun Lyoto matches. It wasn't about talking trash or looking to get the biggest check. It was just 2 of the best competing for the belt.

It's for the people who lean more one way than the other.

I liked both Nasty Nate vs. Connie fights.

That said, they were both completely pointless and would have rather had Cloner Aldo II, Connie Edgar, or both.
Why were they pointless?
Conor saved an event by taking an opponent on 10 days notice and lost, if he had to take such a huge risk by fighting at a weight class he never even touched at the very least he should get a rematch. Both Edgar and Aldo have been offered the fight before Nate at 196. One was injured the other one refused.

Money fights are more exciting.
Fighters tends to go at it with reckless abandon as they are being compensated for their effort and aren't hampered by the nagging thought of their potential earnings all but disappearing with a loss.

Not sure I understand the question. It is a professional sport, and financial compensation is absolutely THE focal point in the term "Professional" as applied to sports. I strongly prefer the fighters that I am willing to PPV to watch be professionals.

In fact, I could care less their secondary "inner motivation" to be a professional fighter. Let me go further by saying if I am understanding the "flip side" correctly, is that I have DISDAIN for any fighter that "attempts" to give MMA fans the "impression" that any of these "secondary" inner motivations actually supersede the primary role of becoming a "professional" fighter as opposed to remaining an "amateur" fighter. In that case, I will at best think of said fighter as mentally ill, and more likely just a worthless freaking liar that I cannot be a fan of.

Money fights fill your pocket, tough fights fill your ego. Best thing is to have a little column A. A little column B. #mmmmhmmm

Why were they pointless?
Conor saved an event by taking an opponent on 10 days notice and lost, if he had to take such a huge risk by fighting at a weight class he never even touched at the very least he should get a rematch. Both Edgar and Aldo have been offered the fight before Nate at 196. One was injured the other one refused.

I see your av but it was I give more props to Nasty Nate saving the event than Connie, who had a full camp.

It was a pointless fight because Mc could have waited a little longer and fought either Aldo or Edgar.

Instead of going on to fight either guy, he demanded another pointless fight against a guy who is top 15 just to get revenge and get his stock back up while Edgar and Aldo knock a contender off.

They were fun fights but served no purpose for FW (ridiculous considering it involves it's Champion) or WW.

Back