Better Career. Jake shields or Matt huges?

Who had the better career.

• Total voters

what-wut

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know most people will lean Matt huges. But I think Jake beat higher caliber guys than Huges.

Demian Maia, Tyron Woodley, Carlos condit, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Martin Kampmann, Dan Henderson, Robbie Lawler, Yushin Okami, Hayato Sakurai.

These are guys that Jake beat. I think he beat the better fighters out of the two, so I think he has the better career out of the two. The belt argument holds no weight for me, unless you want to claim that Matt Serra had a better career than Jake.

Hughes. Shields is a beast though even with garbage striking

If Shields were that great, Dana wouldn't have let him go.

There is always more to look at than just W's and L's when it comes to greatness.

TS.....That would be Hughes Amigo. It's not even close.

6GJWk_s-200x150.gif

Not a big fan of jake shield but hes got some solid wins like hendo, condit and mia to name a few. That said, hughes is the far better WW and is regarded as the second best all time in that division behind GSP.

Henderson was at MW for Shields.

Shields for sure. Outside of GSP Shields coudlve probably beaten any opponent Hughes ever faced

Hughes by far. Shields is under rated but some of his biggest wins are very close and could have went the other way. Okami, Condit and Maia

Hughes' best wins in my opinion are obviously GSP (albeit a young GSP), BJ Penn and Sakurai (although Shields beat him right after).

Based on wins, I'd give the edge to Matt, But it's close. Shields' win over Henderson is the most impressive win either of them got in my opinion. Especially with how Shields dominated Hendo after the 1st round.

Shields has the better resume but Hughes had the better career.

not even close. hughes is probably #2 ww goat

shields definitely has some great wins, but a lot of them are by extremely close sometimes even controversial decisions. example: (Kampmann, Woodley, Maia, etc)

Id give it to Hughes

Matt Hughes he beat GSP the only guy to submit him. Carlos Newton twice,Sakurai.

Shields has a good win in Hendo but I think defeating a younger more Athletic GSP is more impressive.

Hughes has most definitely had the better career. His achievements and accolades far outweighs Shields'.

would have love to see that fight.

Hughes was a long reigning champion and had the aura GSP took on later. He was a monster. It's part of the reason the WW title loss to BJ Penn is such a big deal. Hughes already had 5+ title defenses in when it went down.

Hughes. Shields is definitely number 3, though.

Back