Why don't fighters use MMA slurs like "can"

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
On the heels of PVZ calling her switch kick, the "Kick the Can," I always wondered why fighters don't call their opponents "cans" or "gatekeepers."

Imagine if some HW called McGregor a manlet?

Can is low term used by scummy fans

Fighters are colleagues who know and appreciate the sacrifice of being a fighter no matter what level

Fighters are usually careful with the trash talk because it can all come crashing down on their heads when they lose.

Because fighters know that at the highest level, there is no such thing as a "can".

shook, salty, gotten to, triggered. yeah would be fun

Unless you are Conor or Sonnen you risk getting fired if you go too heavy on trash talk.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to make the argument you're fighting a can. You win you beat a can, you lose, you lost to a can.

Also, calling another fighter a can is a pretty huge insult in combat sports, and realistically there's no cans above mid lvl mma regional promotions.

Because the only cans at this level have been the majority Khabib's opponents

Someone said can recently I forget who... Maybe Cruz on Gardbrants record or Gardbrants on Almeidas

Because fighters know that at the highest level, there is no such thing as a "can".
sn_g_punk01jr_576x874.jpg

There are few people on earth who has the courage to ever step into the cage. Even though they are competitors or even rivals they respect each other.

Overeem touched on this subject in his Q&A from yesterday. Cerrone talked about it on JRE #699 as well concering the Diaz brothers and trashtalk.

If you call your opponent a can, you're writing off the achievement of beating them before you've even fought, because you're basically saying they aren't a worthwhile fighter and they've only been signed to fight you for you to beat them with ease to pad your record.

I don't think anyone wants to belittle their potential wins like that, or risk speaking that bluntly about your opponent only to lose.

Back